BC396T vs. BC996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

space

Hi All,

Is the 996T more able to receive weaker signals than the 396T? Or are the two radio's
about the same when it comes to Sensitivity & Selectivity?

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks for your interest.

Greg

ROCKnTIME

Good Question. I’m trying them side by side now using Close Call and so far the BCD396T (Condor antenna) has found three frequencies verse none for the BCD996T (Diamond RH77CA antenna). I’m using the same settings and no squelch.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Close Call hits will not be a good way to compare relative sensitivity, since Close Call hits are not directly related to sensitivity but rather the detected noise floor of the band being checked. The noise floor will be dramatically affected by antenna systems (system being antenna + chassis in the case of direct-mount, and the 996 has a significant chassis in comparison to the 396).

JHaislet

So would it be possible to put the 396T on a more level playing field by attaching a counterpoise "rat tail" to the base of the antenna on the 396?

Al42

JHaislet said:
So would it be possible to put the 396T on a more level playing field by attaching a counterpoise "rat tail" to the base of the antenna on the 396?
You'd still be comparing nearfield sensitivity, not scanner sensitivity. Of course, if that's what space was interested in, ignore me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.