BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bc436HP Id search = scan on every service type

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Yeah I will agree that what he is asking makes absolutely NO sense at all.
Unknown talkgroups found in search are already "pushed into a custom service type" per se (to use his words) that is controlled by the ID SEARCH being either ON or OFF. Yet he wants to ID SEARCH and exclude the findings?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yeah, pretty much. In his bizarro world, it makes sense to have the scanner search for unknown talkgroups (search ON) but not play any of the discovered traffic (UNKNOWN Service Type OFF).

SCPD

QRT
Seriously....

Yeah, pretty much. In his bizarro world, it makes sense to have the scanner search for unknown talkgroups (search ON) but not play any of the discovered traffic (UNKNOWN Service Type OFF).

Whats so complex about wanting my service types to work with the ID search on? :roll: Guess its too Bizarro for you.

JoeY C you are wrong,it does not do that ,it doesn't move the unknown group to custom 1,I had every service type off with marine on and I am getting Montclair township,PSEG,and others that have no marine talkgroups. (version 1.02.03 firmware) -(the only one wherre airband seems useable)

The GRE version of this whole thing works,I just want the Uniden to work. You tick off fire,its gone totally! etc etc etc

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Because Service Type filtering already works just fine.

All known traffic is subject to Service Type filtering, because the scanner can use the database or favorite list to determine what type it is, regardless of whether search is on or off.

Unknown traffic is not subject to Service Type filtering, because there is no way for the scanner to know what type it is.

If you don't want the scanner to play discovered traffic, turn search off. Don't have search run, and then not play the results. That wastes the scanner's CPU time searching for stuff you won't listen to anyway.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Service types do work with ID search on, as Jon said. If you don't want the scanner to stop on unknown TGIDs, then you simply need to change the system from ID Search to ID Scan mode.

SCPD

QRT
Service types do work with ID search on, as Jon said. If you don't want the scanner to stop on unknown TGIDs, then you simply need to change the system from ID Search to ID Scan mode.

Im going to send you a video,do you have an email?
I want to scan 1 service type,ID search is On and it has stored unknown talkgroups in PSEG and Montclair,they are the correct service type.
Shutting off ID search corrects the issue.

PSEG is UTILITY

Montclair is DISPATCH FD,TAC

All service types are OFF except the one I pick and its named. Ready?

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You misunderstand what an "unknown talkgroup" is. An "unknown talkgroup" is one that is not programmed into the radio, hence it by definition cannot have a service type.

You can have talkgroups programmed into your radio but always avoided (locked out) or their service types disabled, and they will not show up in ID Search mode. I use my radio like this all the time.

I have a system that has talkgroups with the following service types in it:

Fire Dispatch
Fire Tac
Fire Talk
EMS Dispatch
EMS Tac
EMS Talk
Law Dispatch
Law Tac
Law Talk
Interop
Emergency Ops
Corrections
Utilities
Public Works
Transportation

Of those service types, I currently have Transportation, Public Works, Utilities, and Corrections turned off/disabled. I have the Law ones enabled, but in this particular system, I have all the law talkgroups either locked out/avoided or shut off using the quick key functions, because I don't want to listen to this system's law agency. The system is in ID Search mode and always has been. I only hear fire, EMS, and interop/emergency ops on this system, and the *rare* unknown/undiscovered talkgroup. I do not hear any of the other ones programmed in.

SUMMARY:

If you want to be able to pick up talkgroups that are not programmed into your scanner, you need to have the radio on ID Search. Otherwise, you should put it on ID Scan.

If you have the radio in ID Search and you don't want to hear some talkgroups that you're hitting on, you need to save those talkgroups in the system and either avoid them or turn off the service type that you assign to those talkgroups when you save them.

There is no way, and nor should there be a way, to assign service types to talkgroups which are not programmed into the scanner.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Rather than a video, send us the hpe (favorites) file. Use File>Export to hpe file to export it, then zip it up and post it as an attachment here. That way people will be able to analyze the favorites file.

SCPD

QRT
video

Rather than a video, send us the hpe (favorites) file. Use File>Export to hpe file to export it, then zip it up and post it as an attachment here. That way people will be able to analyze the favorites file.

Then it wont be on my radio,apparently Im the only one with this issue, at least so they say....

BCD-436HP Firmware 1.02.03

Jay911

Feed Provider
I have many numbered favorite lists enlighten me on how to send them?

I see export as .hpe but it only lets me give you one.

Choose the favorites list that has the problem system (that shows the unknown talkgroups) in it. If there are multiple favorites lists with that system, just one will be sufficient.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
it has stored unknown talkgroups in PSEG and Montclair

[AdamSavage]
Well, there's your problem.
[/AdamSavage]

If the talkgroups are stored in your favorite list, then by definition they are not "unknown"--they are in your favorite list. Which means that if they aren't following Service Type filtering as you expected, it's because you either haven't bothered to tag them properly in your favorite list, or you haven't tagged them with any service type at all.

Adding a new "unknown" Service Type won't fix that; you need to tag the talkgroups in your favorite list you're calling "unknown" with their appropriate Service Type in Sentinel, and then write your changes to the scanner.

SCPD

QRT
ID search saga

[AdamSavage]
Well, there's your problem.
[/AdamSavage]

If the talkgroups are stored in your favorite list, then by definition they are not "unknown"--they are in your favorite list. Which means that if they aren't following Service Type filtering as you expected, it's because you either haven't bothered to tag them properly in your favorite list, or you haven't tagged them with any service type at all.

Adding a new "unknown" Service Type won't fix that; you need to tag the talkgroups in your favorite list you're calling "unknown" with their appropriate Service Type in Sentinel, and then write your changes to the scanner.

The files are from Radio Reference,I leave the ID search on to find new talkgroups.How come I can do this on my GRE without any issues?
Hmmmm.

Take these and try to scan em with ID search on and turn on only Aircraft in service types.

1.Teterboro Airport NJ AIRCRAFT 1st favorites list
2.Newark Airport NJ AIRCRAFT 2nd favorites list
3.NJPSIC 700MHZ NJ LAW DSPATCH 3rd favorites list
4.Essex County 700MHZ NJ LAW DISPATCH 4th favorites list
I have it this way so I can turn things on and off easy many ways.

Put each of the above into its own favorites list. 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th.
If you turn ID search on they all get scanned
If you turn it off I bet the service types work as described.

They are .txt files change em to .hpe to import.

Attachments

• ESSEX COUNTY 700MHZ (21).txt
    416 bytes · Views: 96
  • NEWARK AIRPORT (36).txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 95
  • NJ PSIC 700MHZ SYSTEM (5).txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 89
  • TETERBORO AIRPORT (35).txt
    736 bytes · Views: 78
Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Essex, Teterboro, and Newark are all conventional systems and irrelevant to your question. ID Scan/ID Search only applies to trunked systems.

NJICS is trunked and set for ID Search. In this condition, the scanner will stop on every channel grant in the system with the following exceptions.

It won't follow a channel grant if:

• The Talk Group ID has been saved to a channel and that channel is avoided.
  • The Talk Group ID has been saved to a channel and the department that channel is in is avoided.
  • The Talk Group ID has been saved to a channel and the Service Tag for that channel has been turned off.
Typically, to find new channels, you would program all known channels for the system, then avoid all departments or turn off all service tags. In that condition, only channel grants for unknown channels will be followed.

Talk Group IDs that have not been stored into a channel have no associated channel tag (there is no way for the scanner to know what type of radio traffic is being carried on an unknown channel).

If you do not want the scanner to follow unknown channel traffic, you would set ID Search to Off (i.e. ID Scan mode) and then unavoid one or more departments and make sure one or more active service tags are turned on.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Well, I am almost 2500 miles away from Teterboro, so I can guarantee that regardless of what service types I enable, I will not receive a single thing.

The reason I was asking for your files was to understand how you've laid out systems.

Like UPMan says, there's no way to tag talkgroups with a service type if the talkgroups are not programmed into the scanner.

If you don't want to hear from unprogrammed talkgroups at certain times, the solution is to turn off ID Search during those times.

SCPD

QRT
Well, I am almost 2500 miles away from Teterboro, so I can guarantee that regardless of what service types I enable, I will not receive a single thing.

The reason I was asking for your files was to understand how you've laid out systems.

Like UPMan says, there's no way to tag talkgroups with a service type if the talkgroups are not programmed into the scanner.

If you don't want to hear from unprogrammed talkgroups at certain times, the solution is to turn off ID Search during those times.

No kidding?
it doesnt matter how I lay em out it wil do the same wrong thing.

My point is you can not leave ID search on otherwise it makes the Service Type feature not work. If I am wanting to listen to AIRCRAFT. Analog,no trunking whatsoever-
ID search means nothing in Aircraft,but why if I select AIRCRAFT do I get
two other systems that are not Aircraft?
If I do the same exact thing with the GRE PSR-800 I am NOT plagued with Essex County or NJPSIC 700 if I want aircraft,its a better system!
A $500 scanner should work wether I have ID search on or not!
Its not a cheap radio.I expect it to do Service Types as expected,on the Uniden I have to have ID search off,why?
If I have the GRE 800 on scanning aircraft only,It works and ignores everything else and I still have Wildcards (GRE's ID SEARCH) on in NJPSIC and Essex County both trunked systems.
Whats wrong with this picture?How come you dont see it?I dont have to avoid or think about anything with th GRE at all.It works.
If you have the antenna off you should see what I'm talking about.Did you try it?

JoeyC

How can you possibly compare the Uniden to the GRE? The GREs do not have a comparable level of filtering (service types) as the Uniden.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea WHAT you are trying to accomplish - but THIS

ID SEARCH will do nothing on Aircraft - zilch, nada, nothing. If you are getting something other that Aircraft with a Favorite with only aircraft there is either some other entity using a freq. you have programed or operator error.

Possibility you have a quick key that is still on with something else that yoi think is off.

No kidding?
it doesnt matter how I lay em out it wil do the same wrong thing.

My point is you can not leave ID search on otherwise it makes the Service Type feature not work. If I am wanting to listen to AIRCRAFT. Analog,no trunking whatsoever-
ID search means nothing in Aircraft,but why if I select AIRCRAFT do I get
two other systems that are not Aircraft?
If I do the same exact thing with the GRE PSR-800 I am NOT plagued with Essex County or NJPSIC 700 if I want aircraft,its a better system!
A $500 scanner should work wether I have ID search on or not!
Its not a cheap radio.I expect it to do Service Types as expected,on the Uniden I have to have ID search off,why?
If I have the GRE 800 on scanning aircraft only,It works and ignores everything else and I still have Wildcards (GRE's ID SEARCH) on in NJPSIC and Essex County both trunked systems.
Whats wrong with this picture?How come you dont see it?I dont have to avoid or think about anything with th GRE at all.It works.
If you have the antenna off you should see what I'm talking about.Did you try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.