BC436HP Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I have had my scanner for about a month now, I feel as I'm ready to give my review for it. At first, I spent 6 hours between crying, rage, and just all pissed off because I did not know what I was doing to program it. Having a BC396T before, I programmed it just using the keypad and did not have to use any software... So, once I figured out the sentenel software and then, learning how to use quick keys... I was good to go locally. This week I went on a road trip, I figured it would be a cool thing to take using the zip code function going through the bigger cities listening to the local FD traffic... I'm not big on listening to PD. The first few cities (Columbus, Cincy, and Louisville) I just kept hitting ignore to avoid the Police Departments... until I found you can just listen to the groups labeled fire dispatch, fire talk, and fire tac. GREAT FEATURE!!! Now I realize I could have spent some extra money and get a GPS antenna so I wouldn't have to program in all of the zip codes, but I didn't have the time or just the money for such thing, nor I don't think I would really use it beyond the road trip I just took. So, the scanner to me is great once you figure out most of the features.

kd7eir

New things frequently put us through the wringer like that. Part of the satisfaction comes from finally wrapping our minds around the nuances of using them.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I know the feeling. Getting the microSD cards to work was pissing me off to no end. But now I have to great scanners, the 536 in my car hooked up to GPS and a 436 that I take portable. KD7, you are SOOOO right!

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I know the feeling. Getting the microSD cards to work was pissing me off to no end. But now I have to great scanners, the 536 in my car hooked up to GPS and a 436 that I take portable. KD7, you are SOOOO right!

Gotta agree with this post :). I`m having a real time trying to get my `436HP to play nice with favorites lists and the sentinel software (this has been frustrating so far, even tried ARCx36PRO with no luck. What i may end up doing is just restoring back to just the onboard DB and using that till an update comes out to fix the multitude of bugs i`ve found in both the software and the scanner (most of `em appear to be in the scanner, two very anoying ones are in the software), and avoiding using the software for anything more than updating the DB and scanner`s firmware, trying to use software to program this unit for now will be just a big migraine, and it`s not worth my while, mabey after the next update...we`ll see there... N9NRA

SCPD

QRT
436HP vs 536

I had the 536 and the 436 is clearer,works better has a better display,FM radio works better,Aircraft band is better,actually stops on channels especially when I want to stop it.
One thing is missing 15-60 second delay range for After an open squelch for
the backlight to stay on. AND Trunk search on a control channel like the 396XT.
This thing is way better than a 396xt! has full database built in and the close call seems to work better.Ive had em all!Easy to work,I dont get how people cant work this radio,its a zip code and range 1 mile.

PS I am using mine with a 396Xt antenna ,the stock antenna worked horrid.It does look like an expensive Motorola radio though...

Last edited:

JamesO

Gotta agree with this post :). I`m having a real time trying to get my `436HP to play nice with favorites lists and the sentinel software (this has been frustrating so far, even tried ARCx36PRO with no luck. What i may end up doing is just restoring back to just the onboard DB and using that till an update comes out to fix the multitude of bugs i`ve found in both the software and the scanner (most of `em appear to be in the scanner, two very anoying ones are in the software), and avoiding using the software for anything more than updating the DB and scanner`s firmware, trying to use software to program this unit for now will be just a big migraine, and it`s not worth my while, mabey after the next update...we`ll see there... N9NRA

There is not likely any update that will solve your issues.

Sorry to put it bluntly, the problems you are having are with the operator and not the scanner. Cannot speak for ARCx36PRO, I have used many other ARC programs, they are a bit non user friendly at times. Sentinel is not too bad, a few issues to overcome in the way the software works, but after that, not an issue.

Anything to do with Favorites List and Quick Keys are almost always user error. Again, maybe the features could be better described/documented, but these features do work. No update required for these features to work. Just make sure you are in fact running the latest firmware. Easy to check in the scanner and to update using Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.