BC700A issue with scanning, service manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc1jts

I recently purchased a used BC700A scanner. The scan functions do not seem to work. If I scan say WX, it never breaks squelch. The weird thing is, if I SEARCH the band, squelch breaks easily on the channels I am interested in. I contacted Uniden about a service manual, or a factory reset procedure. The very nice gal on the service desk said they had no manuals, and she directed me to this site. I already have the owners manual for the BC700a, but am looking for a service manual or adjustment info / tips that might correct this issue. Thanks for reading. Bill.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have a BC700a. It's a nice scanner but COMPLETELY annoying to program. Were you able to program your own frequencies in the "Private" section? Are you using outdoor antenna? Windsor looks like a good place to monitor stuff from Hartford and surrounding towns.

kc1jts

I have a BC700a. It's a nice scanner but COMPLETELY annoying to program. Were you able to program your own frequencies in the "Private" section? Are you using outdoor antenna? Windsor looks like a good place to monitor stuff from Hartford and surrounding towns.

Everything else on my scanner seems to work just fine, no issues programming my own 'private' frequencies. But they won't scan either. Since I picked up the scanner to listen to the KBDL ASOS/ATIS aitport broadcasts for MARS this is not an issue, as I added it to private and then just "hold" and manually step to the memory. I usually use my Tram VHF/UHF roof mounted antenna, but also have had OK luck with the little dipole telescopic that came with my RTL/SDR.

kd1sq

Database Admin
Just a thought, but you may want to see if there are lockouts in WX.

Hit the WX button, then hold the L/O button in until you hear a beep (more than two and a half seconds.)

That may be why your scanner works everywhere but there.

kc1jts

Just a thought, but you may want to see if there are lockouts in WX.

Hit the WX button, then hold the L/O button in until you hear a beep (more than two and a half seconds.)

That may be why your scanner works everywhere but there.

When I press the WX button, BC700A goes into scanning mode. If I hold the L/O button, nothing happens even after 3-6 seconds.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a used BC700A scanner. The scan functions do not seem to work. If I scan say WX, it never breaks squelch. The weird thing is, if I SEARCH the band, squelch breaks easily on the channels I am interested in. I contacted Uniden about a service manual, or a factory reset procedure. The very nice gal on the service desk said they had no manuals, and she directed me to this site. I already have the owners manual for the BC700a, but am looking for a service manual or adjustment info / tips that might correct this issue. Thanks for reading. Bill.
Uniden does not release their service manuals for scanners with 800 MHz. (At least when I have asked, for my 700.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You have me confused about what's going on with the BC700A? it will do the preprogrammed bands or whatever you put in the private bank. If its sole purpose is an ATIS broadcast, then no scanning is not a problem. You know about setting squelch until it just kills the noise...
It's really an odd beast of a device...the programming is a PITA but it works. Mine is for the local UNICOM frequency and 121.5 and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.