BC758D Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I bought a BCD996XT but ;

I would like to investigate and discuss the possibilities of upgrading the firmware in the BC785D. I like this radio.
First it would be nice to know what IC the firmware is embedded in?
Is it surface mounted?
Does it have a DIP cousin and socket for a development system that can download it and reverse engineer it?
Would Uniden be willing to sell IC’s with updated firmware?
Or sell the source code for modification?
To keep the radio current. A chip replacement would do the trick. I suspect the firmware may be in the CPU IC. This I could replace but most people may not be able to do this if it is surface mounted. And may not be profitable for Uniden to support a replacement program. But selling an upgraded IC without warrantee could do the trick. And would be profitable for Uniden.
Otherwise it will go up for sale on Ebay. That will be one radio sale the scanner makers won’t be making.
How many people would be willing to pay for a upgraded IC and could install it or know somebody who can. Keep in mind it would probably take someone with large IC surface mounting skill.
How much would you pay for the IC.
How much would you pay to put it in.
Would you risk the 10% possibility your radio may no longer work because of electrical solder damage and ESD problems and faulty IC’s.
How much is do you think the radio is worth?
How much will it be worth with as new rebanding IC is installed?

sjlamb

Yes... the CPU is surface mount, as has been the norm with most scanners (and most other consumer electronics) produced in the past 15 years or so.

While I admire your loyalty to a 1st generation digital scanner produced in 2003, the notion that either Uniden or the typical 785D owner would invest the requisite time and money (if it were even possible) to do such a retro-fit would be, logistically and economically, beyond all practical consideration.

It would cost more to accomplish such a thing than to buy the most current hardware available. You'd have to REALLY be in love with that 785D's "skin" to even consider such a project. Other than retaining the physical appearance of an older product... where's the upside??

How many typical scanner owners have you ever heard of that have "large IC surface mounting skill" for this proposed "no guarantee" aftermarket IC? Not even manufacturers replace surface mount ICs. They simply swap out boards. I think the market for such a retrofit MIGHT amount to about a dozen or so people... on a Global level. 10% failure rate?? Good luck pitching that one.

As I stated when I began... I admire your enthusiasm but..... in my tiny opinion..... the entire concept is mere unrealistic fantasy. The world, however, does love a dreamer. Carry on....

First it would be nice to know what IC the firmware is embedded in?
Is it surface mounted?
CPU
Surface Mounted=YES

Does it have a DIP cousin and socket for a development system that can download it and reverse engineer it?
NO...
Would Uniden be willing to sell IC’s with updated firmware? Or sell the source code for modification?
NO...
How many people would be willing to pay for a upgraded IC and could install it or know somebody who can. Keep in mind it would probably take someone with large IC surface mounting skill.
MAYBE A DOZEN.... WORLDWIDE
How much would you pay for the IC?
MAYBE $50.....
How much would you pay to put it in?
$50....
Would you risk the 10% possibility your radio may no longer work because of electrical solder damage and ESD problems and faulty IC’s?
NO....
How much is do you think the radio is worth?
ABOUT $225....
How much will it be worth with as new rebanding IC is installed?
ABOUT $325...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.