BC75XLT(Part3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The antenna has nothing to do with it. The antenna doesn't scan the frequencies the scanner does.

That radio only scans 25-54 MHz,108-174 MHz, and 406-512 MHz. in analog only.

It would help if you told us what system you are trying to receive. You may be able to listen to analog trunked frequencies in the above frequency ranges but it will not track the trunked systems as in following the conversations.

An 800 MHz antenna will not permit reception of 800 MHz frequencies or track trunked systems if the scanner does not have that capability.

The air band antenna will definitely improve reception on the air bands.

Last edited:

Chris516

The antenna has nothing to do with it. The antenna doesn't scan the frequencies the scanner does.

That radio only scans 25-54 MHz,108-174 MHz, and 406-512 MHz. in analog only.

It would help if you told us what system you are trying to receive. You may be able to listen to analog trunked frequencies in the above frequency ranges but it will not track the trunked systems as in following the conversations.

An 800 MHz antenna will not permit reception of 800 MHz frequencies or track trunked systems if the scanner does not have that capability.

The air band antenna will definitely improve reception on the air bands.
Thanks for telling me. It saves me the trip, and the $.

Chris516

I got the 800mhz antenna: 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna | Scanner Master . I haven't received it yet. But it should be here in the next day or so.

I needed a new antenna. Initially because of bad reception on the air band. That was before my 'rubber ducky' went missing, last week.

I was originally looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Orig...id=1505274755&sr=1-2&keywords=diamond+srh77ca ; but the antenna was so long that it looked like it would get caught on something.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The antenna you ordered will not work worth crap on air band--at best it will perform about the same as the factory antenna. The Diamond RH77CA will perform far better.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Here is a graph showing relative receive performance between the BCD436HP stock antenna and the RS800 antenna. Emphasis on "relative." If the plot is above the center line, the RS800 is performing better than the stock antenna. If it is below the center line, it is performing worse than the stock antenna.

I don't have this for the BC75XLT's stock antenna, but this should give you an indication of where the RS800 excels and where it does not. (No one antenna will be better than another antenna across every frequency, so there is no single answer to "which antenna is better"; it is always in relation to the frequency band you want to receive).

RS800.jpg

As you can see, the RS800 is much better at Mil-Air and (oddly enough) 800 MHz, but no better or slightly worse at civilian air band.

Last edited:

Chris516

The antenna you ordered will not work worth crap on air band--at best it will perform about the same as the factory antenna. The Diamond RH77CA will perform far better.
I will be getting the Diamond RH77CA in the next couple of weeks. Then I will save up for the BCD325p2. I will do a 'tree'(or however it is referred to). I will just have 911 and FAA communications using the 'T'(http://www.scannermaster.com/BNC_Male_to_BNC_Female_T_Connector_p/15-541356.htm) and two 'right angles'(http://www.scannermaster.com/BNC_Right_Angle_Connector_Male_Female_p/35-531669.htm).

I am glad I made the mistake. Because I will eventually be able to listen to more 911 communications. I can't use the 800mhz antenna, yet, until I get the BCD325p2. But I will be able to use the Diamond in the meantime.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'll be better off just using the RH77CA. Having two antennas on a tee will not work well because the antennas will interact with each other.

ChrisABQ

The best thing to do for now is don't spend anymore money until you get your new radio. See how the stock rubber duck works then move forward from there if you have to.

Chris516

The best thing to do for now is don't spend anymore money until you get your new radio. See how the stock rubber duck works then move forward from there if you have to.
I can't use the stock rubber duck. Because, It somehow came off the scanner two weeks ago. I have repeatedly looked for it. But I still haven't found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.