BC780 will not connect to PC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanjunkie

Hi All,
I have the unit in remote mode, the baud rates are set the same in the ARC780 and the unit, and the com port is set correctly. I have tried several DB9 cables and it refuses to connect.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Bill2k

Is there anything else using the same (sharing) com port? Did you plug the db9 cable into your gameport instead of serial port? Do you have another computer to test it on?

scanjunkie

It is a lonely com port, it is definitely in the serial port, and yes, I have tried it on another computer...I am completely baffled!!
Thanks for your reply, Bill...Please let me know if you think of anything else...I am getting ready to just program it by hand...that's as bad as having to actually get off the couch to change channels on the TV!!

SCPD

QRT
I had the same problem .. I would do the Man + 2 + 9 thing when you power on .. to wipe it out and try again.

I would find it really weird that it doesnt work. I have 2 780's and they work fine .. as long as the rate is the same. (Defaults to 9600) This is what I would use in my ARC 780 program as well. Of course make sure you are on the right com port .. and if course the program will tell you if it doesnt connect.

Just my 2 cents ...

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
h8tdigitalradio said:
Hello,

Press and HOLD E Key. "RMT" will appear on display. Once "RMT" appears, you can remote access the 780.

Read his first post - its in remote mode.

However I did not see where he said the baud rate. I believe it should be 19200...

camsdad

I'm having the same problem with a new BCT8 at home.
2 different computers & 2 different serial cables.

Tomorrow I will go to work and try there.
I just programed 5 of the same BCT8's there today with no problems other then setting up a Motorola Trunking type 1 bank. What a PITA!

If I can read it there then I know the problem is at home.
If not, then it is a Scanner issue.

jpm

h8tdigitalradio said:
Hello,

Press and HOLD E Key. "RMT" will appear on display. Once "RMT" appears, you can remote access the 780.

Just purchased the proscan software and thats how I connected. Also using the arc250pro software as well and both work like a charm. This hobbies now getting very interested.

scanjunkie

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I do have the baud rates set at 19200 on both the software and the unit. It is in RMT mode, etc, etc. I have tried several DB9 cables I had at work, but who knows...they could have been in the stock pile because they're bad. I will pick up a new cable and try again. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!!

MacombMonitor

Mark:

The BC780-XLT needs a straight through serial cable. Possibly the cables you've tried are null-modem cables, meaning that pins 2 & 3 are crossed. If you have an ohm meter, or continuity tester you could trace them out. If they're crossed it won't work.

Bill

scanjunkie

MacombMonitor said:
Mark:

The BC780-XLT needs a straight through serial cable. Possibly the cables you've tried are null-modem cables, meaning that pins 2 & 3 are crossed. If you have an ohm meter, or continuity tester you could trace them out. If they're crossed it won't work.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I'm starting to think that you are on the right track. I am going to grab a new DB9 today and give it a shot. Thanks for your help and thanks to all!!

camsdad

Got my BCT8 to work. Seems I had the wrong cable. A DB9 null-modem cable.
Went looking for a straight through serial cable at the local computer stores, Electronic Stores, and Radio Shack. No one has them anymore.
So I remembered I might have one at my work place left over from a previous job I had done.
Yep!
Tried it out and I works.
All right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.