BC780XLT - Buttons wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVPI4Ever

On my BC780XLT, my buttons will work one day and wont the next. The buttons I care more about are the manual button, scan button, etc. Basically the ones on both sides of the screen. What gives?

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I don't have one of these, but, many models (including this one according to the online manual, p 22) have a lock feature to keep anyone from inadvertently making changes.
On my 898 and 245 it isn't too hard to flip this on when you are in fact trying to do something else. Bet this is it.

DPD1

Sounds like there's a bad solder point somewhere or something... It's probably changing due to temperature, which causes it to work one day and not the next. Definitely sounds like you have an issue.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

CVPI4Ever

Is it worth sending it in to Uniden for? I am afraid it wil work for them and they will charge me for nothing.

CVPI4Ever

CVPI4Ever said:
Is it worth sending it in to Uniden for? I am afraid it wil work for them and they will charge me for nothing.
Well, anyone think its worth it to send it in?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
Well, anyone think its worth it to send it in?
If you like, & still intend to use the scanner, I'd say send it in for repair. Uniden's base repair rate is usually in the $50 range, plus shipping & possibly tax. But before doing do, I'd do two things if it were my scanner:

1. This, as you've indicated, is an intermittent problem. Those are harder to find & fix than a straight "does not work" issue. Start keeping a record for a few days, or maybe a week or two, whatever it takes, of when it occurs, & what steps, if any, were taken, that seemed to help. See if you can establish a pattern. Make a note, when the problem occurs, of temp & humidity. Temp would affect a solder joint. Humidity, if condensation has formed due to a draft from your air conditioning system, could affect the pc board, switches, or other connections. Not likely, but intermittents are like a witch hunt at times. Also note if this occurred, and/or cleared up, after the scanner was moved or bumped. Is it mounted in your vehicle? Or stationary on a shelf? Or mounted on a bracket on (or under) a shelf in the house?

2. Once you have a week or two of notes, spanning several instances where the problem occurred, then cleared up, maybe you'll see some sort of pattern. Or maybe not. But, when you set up the repair, you'll be able to give Uniden, or whoever you use for repair, as much information as possible to maximize the odds of a successful outcome. Print out a summarized form of your notes regarding when the problem occurs, under what conditions, & include it with the scanner. If I recall, there is a comment field on the online repair form as to the problem. If so, I'd put something about intermittent button failure, log enclose w/unit. Whatever you can squeeze in.

Status
Not open for further replies.