BC780XLT ID-Scanning or just Scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan9436

I'm trying to figure out if I'm trunking correctly or not. I programmed in all frequencies in order and selected EDACS WIDE. If I hit the scan button the display says scanning. Should the display say ID scanning? The "trunk" does not show up on the display but the "E" icon does. If I hit the trunk button to display trunk I don't get any activity. With the "trunk" not indicated on the display I get activity but not sure if I'm getting everything. When I use software to read out my frequencies the software has trunking as on for those channels. Any help out there?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Edacs Systems need freq's entered in a order, known as LCN. If your have the system freq's out of order it will not work correctly. Check Radioreference.com to see what your LCN is for the system you are trying to monitor. Also another thought is that you might be missing or unable to get a clear lock on the Control Channel. A way to check for this is manually go through each channel you have programmed and find the one that is nothing but noise, rasping sound, then check your signal strength for that channel. Lastly PC programming has a way of not always doing what it should when it loads the file into the scanner, this requires you to check every setting manually in the scanner. Sorry in answer to your real question it should say ID Scanning.

bryan9436

a little more specific?

Thanks Freqed, I do have the frequencies in the correct order. I did find that the 3rd frequency gave me the constant noise (always locked on to the channel during scanning because of constant noise) and full strength. I had this channel locked out because during scanning it would be constantly locked. I unlocked this channel and switched the "TRUNK" button back on. I do get traffic now while the trunk button is enabled, however the display still only says "scanning" and not "ID-scanning". Could this be because bank 1 is setup for trunking and my bank 2 is not. It is my understanding you can mix trunking and non-trunking as long as they are different banks. Any other ideas on how to get this darn thing to say ID-Scanning? I think I am either there or close. My next move will to bring it to a shop and I know they are going to charge me approx. $15 - $20 to push a couple of buttons.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Since noone else has asked, I will. Do you have talkgroup ID's programmed in? In order to ID Scan, you have to have some ID's programmed into the scanner for the system you're working with. And yes, you can scan both trunked and conventional banks at the same time. If you have ID's programmed in, and hit the Trunk button, you should start ID Scanning. If you don't have any ID's in then you will only "Scan" the frequencies.

As for the channel with the constant noise, that is the control channel, which has to be active (not locked out) for you to trunk the system. If you are in just plain scanning mode (not Trunked) you will hangup on it everytime. But if you are are indeed in the trunktracking mode, then you will not stop on the control channel.

Once you put some talkgroup ID's in there, then you can ID Scan. Hope that helps....

Chipster

I got the same problem. I can’t get anything in trunk mode, but I can get stuff if I go to that frequency manually. I programmed it with the WinScan software. I attached the file, (I think it worked) if anyone could tell if it is wrong or not. You will have to remove the .txt from the end. I programmed Indianapolis, MECA II system.

Attachments

• BC780XLT.ws2.txt
    96.9 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.