BC780XLT Program Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillip3225

I cannot get my 780 to remote connect or program.

- I know the error is not from the rs232 cable.
- The COM port works with programming my GPS.
- I have checked the baud rates.
- I have enabled the remote by hold down "E" for two seconds.
- Have tried two differnt softwares to communicate with it.

Windows XP

Any other ideas?

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Here's a list to start with and since I don't know your PC ability, don't think I'm telling you anything else then trying to help you !

1 - Have you correctly identify your port in the PC device manager and check all com port one by one in the software ?

2 - Have you check both baud rate in the software and in the PC port management ?

3 - Once the com port is identify, make sure it is not above 19200 Kbps in the Windows device manager and accordingly in the software.

4 - Do you have any device manager for a PDA like a Palm or an Ipaq or such as your GPS app - If so, close them ...

5 - How about a firewall that would block the com port ?

6 - As for the 780 itself, once you pressed the "E" for 2 seconds, do you see "RMT" in the upper right side of the display just below "DLY" ?

7 - Is the problem present in the read or send data only ? Can you use the virtual control ?

It's not a exhaustive list of trouble shooting but it's something to start ... It works fine for me in a WinXP SP2 environment

Last edited:

phillip3225

I have went through that list with no changes. For the most part the program I have tried are unable to detect/read/ initialize the device.

From everything that I have tested I believe the problem lies with the scanner itself.

I am also proficient with computers.

Thanks for your help.

n2mdk

Are you sure the cable your using is a direct cable and not a crossover/null modem cable.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here are a few more things to check. Since most newer PCs don't have serial ports;

• are you using a USB-serial converter?
  • Have you set it up so that the COM port is one that's actually available? Check device manager
  • Does the software address the COM port you are trying to use? Since you didn't mention which software you're using, there are a few older ones out there that might not be able to address the port you've chosen
  • Do you have the latest USB drivers from the manufacturer?

73 Mike

phillip3225

Not using a USB converter. Did try that though however.

No conflicts with the the com 1 according to device manager.

Tried three different programs with no results.

I have also tried resetting the scanner with no results.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmmm, very strange...

Page 66 of the owner's manual shows how to set up the speed of the connection on the scanner. Have you insured that the speed listed is the one you're trying to connect with? Not all software will step through every speed setting to attempt making a connection (Scan Control does).

The owner's manual is available on the 780 Wiki as a PDF file if you don't have one.

It might also help to know which software you are trying. ProScan has RR web connectivity (when you get your premium subscription), and Scan Control has a copy/paste tool for coying data directly from the database

73 Mike

Last edited:

phillip3225

I have confirmed the rates in between the computer and radio.

Originally I was wanting to play with the ID Tracker open source program. After it would not connect I tried ARC780 and then ScanPro 780. All are unable to initiate contact.

I really think the problem lies within the scanner. I have check the baud rates and I have "RMT" in the corner.

phillip3225

When I load idtracker this is what it says in the debug

IID Tracker II - V1.17.3
21:08:06 BCSend - Error (0): -
21:08:06 BCSend - Error (6): CommFlush (PurgeComm) - The handle is invalid.®

21:08:07 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)
21:08:08 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)
21:08:11 KeyCode: 123 Shift: 0
21:11:14 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)
21:11:15 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)
21:11:51 --> MDL®
21:11:52 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)
21:11:52 --> MDL®
21:11:53 BCSend - Timeout (MDL)

21:15:46 BCSend - Error (87): CommSetLine (EscapeCommFunction) - The parameter is incorrect.®

21:15:50 BCSend - Error (87): CommSetLine (EscapeCommFunction) - The parameter is incorrect.®

Last edited:

Bill_White

I had a similar problem a time ago…
I found the IRQ and I/O Address in the BIOS did not match the settings in the control panel. COM 1 “should be” IRQ 4 and I/O 3f8. I have also seen software “support” speeds up to 19200 baud but, had problems getting it to work that fast. Maybe try a slower baud rate like 9600..

phillip3225

I took your recommendation unfortunately it did not change anything. I have read to be very careful about the radio shorting while attaching the serial cable. I'm wondering if anything shorted. Is there a way to check, troubleshoot, or fix this problem?

Bill_White

OK, I think I figured it out...
At the top of your debug log..
The problem is -->IID Tracker II - V1.17.3
Is for the BCT15, BR330T, BCD396T and BCD996T.

You should be using ID Tracker v3.11.0 = the one I use with my 780's

Try that and let us know how you make out.

phillip3225

I got excited until it did not work.I have tried a couple other programs with no connection. I have tried a different cable and different computer. I really think the problem is within the radio. I was able to program the radio a couple years ago and thats the last time I did anything with the remote control.

I really appreciate you trying to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.