BC780xlt tone search and saving found tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PluckyPleco

Hi all,

The manual says that once tone search has found a tone, indicated by the CTCSS frequency flashing, we can hit 'E' to store that tone in the memory.

The scanner finds the tone, it flashed, I hit 'E' but the tone isn't being stored.

What am I doing wrong?

PP

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
PP-

Just trying to rule out the easy stuff first... after you hit E to store the tone, did you go back into the menu for that freq and change the mode from Tone Search to Tone Squelch?

Hope that helps.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Could you possibly have the keypad locked? Even when the keypad is locked, I believe the Scan and Manual buttons still work but most everything else won't. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

PluckyPleco

after you hit E to store the tone, did you go back into the menu for that freq and change the mode from Tone Search to Tone Squelch?

The BC780xlt does the tone squelch vs tone search on a system wide basis. My expectation is to the the number added to that memory channel, but it remains without one. I could manually add it, but what's the fun in that?

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Just looking in the manual, I see where it says you can do it by pressing the enter key but you have to have the radio set to Tone Squelch. I've got my 780 programmed up with military aviation frequencies and I haven't fooled with any kind of tone programming on it and so long that I can't even remember how it was done. But it looks like if you have what is in the center of this screenshot, where it talks about Tone Data and Tone Squelch, turned on it should work. You obviously don't have key lock turned on since you mentioned going into the menu. Unless there's something else I'm not remembering, and that is very possible, I don't remember anything else that ever gave me any problems with saving the tone to memory when I used to use the radio a lot.

One other thing I just thought about may or may not be related? When I turn on my 780 I get static when I turn the volume up or down because I need to get some contact cleaner and spray the radio contacts. Since it's a 20-year radio, I'm wondering if your Enter key might have any kind of problem like that? Well I doubt that would be the issue I thought I'd mention it anyway. It would be easy to check.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-223757.png
    Screenshot_20200802-223757.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.