BC780XLT Volume knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
I just had the volume knob on my 780XLT crumble to pieces.

I don't suppose there are replacements for it.

I've looked in all the obvious sites with no luck. Any help always appreciated.

NB5B

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have heard SOOOO many people wig about the volume knob breaking on their 780xlt, so I 'm lost as to why or how it happens? There used to be a part # that was posted on here to replace it, but that was several years ago.
I've had my 780 since 2008 and have never had the knob or anything else fail on it.

n9zas

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
One of mine broke in half last week so it was easy to glue back together. I suppose if it crumbles into pieces it would be harder to glue together. I hope you can find one somewhere.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Same thing here. Went to work one day and when I came home I went to turn the 780 on and no knob. I scratched my head as I knew it was there when I shut it off before leaving for work. I found it under the radio in two equal halves.

I used a loctite commercial type super glue and also wrapped a few turns of some stainless wire around it that I twisted really tight and let it sit for a few hours.

That was maybe two years ago and it is still holding together to this day. I really expected it to pop apart again when I removed the wire clamp but it has held.

The plastic in the knobs must expand with age or something and pressure builds until they give.

Violation

These do show up on ebay now and then. I bought mine used, and the knob was missing. (this was part of the deal). I don't know if Uniden keeps them yet or not, or if there is a substitute. The person I bought mine from lived in California at the time sold them to me for $7.95 plus $2.00 postage. Been OK since then......PW

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
That never happened to my BC780, but it's interesting how many knobs have split in half because the same thing happened to my VR-500 detente knob. Fixed it with epoxy that was specifically for polypropelene plastics.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
BC 780XLT Volume knob

Uniden no longer repairs or stocks replacement parts for this unit.

Reminds me of Yaesu.

I have found a knob from an individual.

Thanks for your responses.

Dave NB5B

KC9NSA

I had same thing happen this morning. I went to turn on the radio, barley touching the knob and it split in two. I'm trying to find a new volume on/off button.

Status
Not open for further replies.