BC785: Scrambling does not show as "ENC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

When hearing scrambling sounding like R2D2 on my BC785, shouldn't "ENC" be appearing in my scanner window???
If not, am I instead actually hearing a simple version of voice inversion and not digital encryption???

Thanks in advance.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
When hearing scrambling sounding like R2D2 on my BC785, shouldn't "ENC" be appearing in my scanner window???
If not, am I instead actually hearing a simple version of voice inversion and not digital encryption???

Thanks in advance.

The mention of R2D2 sounds can be a sign of digital encryption. If it is digital on an analog system, the 785 may not be able to detect it as encryption hence no ENC displayed. I've also heard the same exact sound when receiving a simulcast site and the radio could not decode the audio correctly due to simulcast distortion. The two are nearly identical in sound as encryption just mixes up the bits much in the same way simulcast distortion will do. If you get clear sound from other talkgroups or users of the system, then it is most likely encryption.

Voice Inversion is more warbly or Donald Duck sounding or maybe kind of how sideband sounds like.

It's been a while since I messed with a 785 but I seem to recall it could not detect some types of encryption as well as the newer models.

Can you post a link for the system you are hearing this on from its database page here at RR?

Status
Not open for further replies.