BC785D and BC796D P25 York PA programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

I don't think I've ever been stumped like I am today. A co-worker has asked me to program his two Uniden first-generation digital scanners onto the York County, PA P25 system. The scanners are a BC796D and a BC785D with P25 card installed.

I started with the 796 and can't get past the base/offset programming. The York County, PA 500mhz P25 system was once listed as having a 500.000/0/12.5 setting for base/offset/spacing but the scanner won't accept these settings. Any help is appreciated. I'm skeptical as to whether the model can even handle the system.

As for the 785 with card installed, I haven't tried it yet. I have read the RR Wiki specs on it and there is no mention of 9600baud P25 tracking. Will this radio even handle the York PA system?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have never operated either of these radios before. Thanks in advance for any advice!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 785D won't handle a 9600 baud system - the optional card only handles a 3600 baud (so-called 'mixed mode') system.

If we're talking about this system...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4518

I don't believe that a separate base/offset would be needed since, in this case, that info is on the control channel on a P25 system. However, it looks as though you may need to consider what site(s) are physically closest to your friend's location. I'm sure a query on the Pa. forum would bring results

73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just skipping through the York county sticky, I saw someone was using a base/offset on a 2096 scanner- but that doesn't necessarily mean the Uniden will also need it. And I know that the 796 can't handle certain offset combinations (it's been documented here before, I just can't put my finger on it...UPMan?) 73 Mike

ocguard

Just skipping through the York county sticky, I saw someone was using a base/offset on a 2096 scanner- but that doesn't necessarily mean the Uniden will also need it. And I know that the 796 can't handle certain offset combinations (it's been documented here before, I just can't put my finger on it...UPMan?) 73 Mike

Thanks for your reply. I've programmed quite a few Pro-96/2096s for folks and it needed custom table info. I've got it down to a science. But I can't seem to find a way to make the BC796 take this custom table/base/offset data. Problem is, there is no way to move past the base/offset entry step when programming a UHF P25 system. If you skip the step, it programs the default settings which are wrong. I guess if UPMan can't help, no one can.

My friend will be isolated to the South and Central zones so he'll just be getting two banks, one for each zone -- that is -- if I can get past this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.