BC785D pc link

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardfacer

Trying to get a old Bc785D programed for a friend but can't get a communication link between pc and scanner. They sent a 9 pin serial cable with the scanner but I don't know that it is the right one. 940-0020B is the number on the cable. I read somewhere that there is differant types of this cable. Tried using my scancontrol ver 6.11 and the uniden E-scanner software to try and get it work but no luck.

Highpockets

hardfacer said:
Trying to get a old Bc785D programed for a friend but can't get a communication link between pc and scanner. They sent a 9 pin serial cable with the scanner but I don't know that it is the right one. 940-0020B is the number on the cable. I read somewhere that there is differant types of this cable. Tried using my scancontrol ver 6.11 and the uniden E-scanner software to try and get it work but no luck.

I'm sure you did, but, just asking. Did you go into the menu, system option, pc control and set a bps rate, and make sure rate same in software, also com ports?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Highpockets is right - you need to set up the speed on the port of the 785 - see page 77 of the owner's manual. Once the speed is set, Scan Control should find it, assuming the port is available on your PC..the section name is 'Start Remote Mode and Change Transfer Speed'

http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BC785Dom.pdf

also make sure you are using a serial cable, not a null modem cable - which would be used for cloning. You didn't mention if you were using a USB to serial converter.... 73 Mike

Last edited:

hardfacer

YEs I did try setting the scanner to differant speed rates and I have 3 com ports on pc and as a last resort unplugged the 996t out of com 1 which I know works and still no talking. It's almost like the serial cord is the wrong type. Does any body know if the 785 comes with a gray colored serial cable? As I said earlier I read somewhere that serial cables can be Simple signaling or "smart"
http://swhelp.apcc.com/pcbe/commhelp/win2000/

spooney

It does not come packaged with a PC cable. You can use any standard serial port cable. i just used a plain extension cable with male connector on one end and female on the other.
Some cables have special pin arrangements and some even have the null arrangement of which won't work unless you are cloning to/from another scanner.

hardfacer

I guess the next step is getting out the ohm meter and seeing if the cable is good and checking pin configurations.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
hardfacer said:
I guess the next step is getting out the ohm meter and seeing if the cable is good and checking pin configurations.

I wouldn't bother. It's probably a null modem cable. I used to write scanner software and a null modem cable was by far the most frequent reason people would email support and claim the software didn't work. On the outside they look just like a regular serial cable but inside they have 2 pins wired backwards at one end. Scanners don't like such things. Just head for any Walmart or similar store and pick up a 9 pin serial extension cable. Make sure it does NOT say "null modem" anywhere on the package. $15 or so later, your problem will be solved.

-AZ

N2KMB

B11D
Feed Provider
did your prob ever get fixed im haveing the same prob you did and i wanted to know did it work

K

kb0nly

Doubt he ever found a serial cable at wal-mart, around here serial stuff is hard to find as its old technology.

But anyway...

This is an old thread, four years ago was the last post. I would start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.