BC785D Programming for P25 Phase-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD4CQ

Can anyone help me Program my Uniden BC785D Scanner for Craven Co (New Bern, NC)

I am a long time subscriber but somewhat new to posting on RR so please bare with me. I hope I do not break any protocols with my post here.

I have a Uniden BC785D Scanner with the Digital card installed. I am trying to program into the scanner our local P25 Phase-1 Public Safety System (For Craven County - New Bern, NC) as well as hopefully all the other agencies such as VIPER, HWY PATROL, Etc....

I have Licensed Copies of ProScan 7.1 and FreeScan 2.17 and ARC250 1.51.01, and the Free Uniden CD-Rom software that came with the Scanner and all are set-up and handshake well with the various scanners including the BC785D.

First I do not know which software is BEST to use?

I own the following Uniden Scanners, HomePatrol-1, BCD536XT, BCD396XT, BC785D.

I once long ago Programmed on my own my BC785D Scanner using ARC250 Software back before our Trucking System went Digital and it worked very well. After they went Digital I lost all my NEW Bern Public Safety System reception for years but could still hear all the other banks which were Conventional (Non-trucked, non-digital)(Analog Systems) ......So, now I am trying to "re-learn" it all again and how to properly program all my systems into EACH Scanner they way I want to.

I am starting with my Uniden BC785D Scanner.

Can anyone help me Program the Uniden BC785D Scanner for Craven Co (New Bern, NC) with Bank-1 being the P25 Phase-1 New Bern Police, and Bank-2 the next agency, etc...

KJ4FH

JamesO

The 785D is limited due to the firmware could not be modified for rebanded 800 MHz trunking operation and there was no Offset table to work around this.Not 100% sure if the frequency steps changed and can be supported on the 785D.

You could monitor a 800 Rebanded system assuming you input all the frequencies and scan the trunked system like a conventional system. You would not be able to easily follow traffic and doing this would function like an ID Search.

I am also assuming the system you want to monitor is a rebanded 800 MHz system as well, I did not check the system in the RR database.

Might want to refer to this link - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

Good luck, suggest you might use one of your other radios for rebanded trunking and use the 785D for other purposes.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help me Program my Uniden BC785D Scanner for Craven Co (New Bern, NC)

I am a long time subscriber but somewhat new to posting on RR so please bare with me. I hope I do not break any protocols with my post here.

I have a Uniden BC785D Scanner with the Digital card installed. I am trying to program into the scanner our local P25 Phase-1 Public Safety System (For Craven County - New Bern, NC) as well as hopefully all the other agencies such as VIPER, HWY PATROL, Etc....

I have Licensed Copies of ProScan 7.1 and FreeScan 2.17 and ARC250 1.51.01, and the Free Uniden CD-Rom software that came with the Scanner and all are set-up and handshake well with the various scanners including the BC785D.

First I do not know which software is BEST to use?

I own the following Uniden Scanners, HomePatrol-1, BCD536XT, BCD396XT, BC785D.

I once long ago Programmed on my own my BC785D Scanner using ARC250 Software back before our Trucking System went Digital and it worked very well. After they went Digital I lost all my NEW Bern Public Safety System reception for years but could still hear all the other banks which were Conventional (Non-trucked, non-digital)(Analog Systems) ......So, now I am trying to "re-learn" it all again and how to properly program all my systems into EACH Scanner they way I want to.

I am starting with my Uniden BC785D Scanner.

Can anyone help me Program the Uniden BC785D Scanner for Craven Co (New Bern, NC) with Bank-1 being the P25 Phase-1 New Bern Police, and Bank-2 the next agency, etc...

KJ4FH
The BC785D won't work for this system: New Bern Public Safety (Project 25) System Trunking System, New Bern, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies
That's a true P25 Phase I system, unlike the original VIPER, which is a Motorola Type II system that had both analog and digital talkgroups. You can monitor VIPER as long as the site you are programming does not require the custom band tables. (That is, no frequency on that site can have a 0 (zero) in the fourth decimal position. They all must have a 5 (five).) The site in New Bern appears to be one you can program, as all frequencies shown meet that test.

However, when it comes to the P25 Phase I system for New Bern, the 785D cannot track that system. It can follow the 3600 baud control channels used on the Type II systems such as VIPER, but cannot handle the 9600 baud used by the P25 Phase I systems. A list of system types monitorable by the BC785D can be found in the Wiki. The upgraded version of VIPER is P25 Phase I, like New Bern.

As James has already noted, other than using one of your newer scanners for New Bern, your only option for the 785D would be to program the system frequencies of the New Bern system in and monitor them as if they were conventional channels. You would, of course, have no control on selecting who to listen to (no way to lockout specific talkgroups), and you'd have to make sure the current control channel was locked out.

WD4CQ

Thank you for your kind reply. That is what I was afraid of. I kept trying to program the BC785D for our P25 Public Safety System here in Craven Co. (New Bern, NC) but I had no luck! So, That explain it. I do have other scanners that are working well with it. I just wanted to see if I could use these older scanners. I will probably sell both my older BC785D Scanners. Again Thank you!

Danny
KJ4FH
---------------------------
BCD536HP, BCD396XT, BC785D, HomePatrol-1, Many Others....

JamesO

You may want to keep your 785D for other tasks.

I have some of many scanners running at the same time. Some programmed for analog systems, some P25 non trunking. This way I miss less action.

Many Fire Department Dispatch is simulcast to older analog systems for pagers and volunteer staff, so you do not always need a current trunking scanner.

Also when real action hits, sometimes it takes more than 1 scanner to stay on top of the action. Pause the scanner on a channel or Talk Group. Sometimes you have scanners with traffic at the same time and it may be a bit of a challenge to manage, but I will also have some recording going at times as well.

WD4CQ

I agree James! ...and I may do that. I just have so many scanners. I always keep an Analog Scanner (Radio Shack Pro-2026) going next to my BCD536HP.

WD4CQ

I own a BC536HP, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, HomePatrol-1, BC785D, BC246T, BC8500XLT, BC550A, BC340CRS, BC370CRS, Pro-2026, Pro-2004, Pro-23, Many Others....

I enjoy scanning, but Hate Programming!! It would be great if ONE Program worked for ALL scanners then all the time you use to learn a software package would not be wasted when a new scanner comes out each year.

...Just trying to keep up the the "ever-changing" Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.