BC796D good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott71

Hi folks!!

I have the opportunity to but a used BC796D scanner from a friend. They are looking to upgrade. My question is 250.00 a good deal on this unit. It seems everything is in working order and looks like it never moved off the desk in the house, antenna line coming in and tape deck for recording all set up. So it does look like it was planted there. Is there anything to look for that might sway my mind? And I'm correct to say that it has the digital card built into this unit. We really don't have digital in our area (Berks Co., PA). It's a nice scanner but just want to poll you folks to get some ideas. All my scanners are old and somewhat outdated but still work. Just thought I step a little closer to new.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You might want to ask in the Penn. forum to make sure, but I suspect you have a good one there. Yes, it has the digital card, and it can be rebanded when the time comes (via a firmware fix).

See if they have a programming cable, software, any mods to the unit - all of these can bump the price up. Check the knobs (are they cracked or loose?), is the display clear, backlights in working order, no corrosion evident. Put it on the air and make sure it actually works before plunking down the green stuff

73 Mike

captclint

Mentor
I have the opportunity to but a used BC796D scanner from a friend. We really don't have digital in our area (Berks Co., PA).
Reading has some digital (see the D under mode), but most is either Analog or Encrypted: Reading Trunking System

I still prefer the simplicity of banks on my 796, but, like you, I don't have any large systems that might benefit from Uniden DMA (BTW, I do also own a DMA scanner) The alpha tags are nice, and there is a signal strength indicator. Sensitivity is very good, and it doesn't overload much with strong signals. You can lock out a particular DCS/CTCSS tone on each freq. This is handy when you are getting interference from someone WITH a DCS/CTCSS tone and the agency you want doesn't have any.

The only really annoying thing is that you have to put every single frequency into the DCS/CTCSS search mode when all I want is to check 1 or 2 for unknown tones. Later models allow search on each individual freq.

Bottom line: It's a great scanner for your area

Last edited:

safetyobc

I would think that it would be a decent deal for $250. I haven't seen them sell for much less than that. Probably $225 is the cheapest I have seen around here.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
GREAT DEAL... they all seem to be $300+ on ebay

The digital is NOT built in, its still a card.. however the card was INCLUDED from brand new.

Ensure it can handle your digital systems... the 796D cant handle some high offsets that some newer full P25 systems seem to have

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Note its not the most up to date scanner (2 generations old now) if you were looking for the most up to date thing on the market etc.. but a great scanner still.

scott71

Thanks guys for the feedback!!

I do realize it's not the most current model on the market but for now what I'm looking for this should be good enough. This scanner is in really great condition and well cared for. I was just surprised on the price of some of the new top models out there. It's been a long time since I've bought a new scanner, early 90's. So I found the price on this one to be ok but just need to know if it was a fair set price. I did look at ebay and yes they are going for 250 and up. How times change. I appreciate the help folks!!

mule1075

Feed Provider
interesting

torontokris said
the 796D cant handle some high offsets that some newer full P25 systems seem to have.

might be true but the high offsets of 8192 and 12288 were the RS/GREoffsets in the custom freq tables in the uniden custom tables the offsets are 380 and 570.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The offsets shouldnt be different for RS/GRE or Uniden
Which system are you talking about?

Are you sure 380 570 isnt the BASE?

torontokris said
the 796D cant handle some high offsets that some newer full P25 systems seem to have.

might be true but the high offsets of 8192 and 12288 were the RS/GREoffsets in the custom freq tables in the uniden custom tables the offsets are 380 and 570.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I think the difference is due to a workaround method for getting the PRO-96 to work on that system. The true offsets are 380 and 570.

Status
Not open for further replies.