BC796D Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello there. This is coolguy. I have some questions about how to do some things with this type of scanner. Since I just got it yesterday. And I never had this kind of scanner before.

1st: Is there a way you can just scan the TALKGROUPS and just listen to those like for example: 8608 and listen to the whole conversation on that TALKGROUP or no. If there is, I haven't figured it out yet. And I obviously don't know how to yet. So any help would be really appreciated.

2nd: On the main control channel here in Chapleau. When ever I do a search range between: 140.000 - 144.000. And when it pauses on that Control Channel for a few seconds. I do see some talkgroups show up. When I see them, I hold on that Control Channel, so I can write that TALKGROUP down. Then I press MENU, Scan Option, then Trunk, then Select my bank, then #3 for TALKGROUP. Finally I add that TALKGROUP along with others that I find into the TALKGROUP Location. After that I dunnno how I am supposed to use those TALKGROUPS or what it is supposed to do when I put them in there. Let me know.

3rd: Right now I am just hearing all the conversations on the other Channels such as: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275 while I am in ID SEARCH mode. When I am listening to the one active channel, as soon as someone stops talking on that channel, it will switch to one of those other 2 channels. Then I will get to hear the continuation from that conversation on that other channel. So is that normal or is this the way it is supposed to be. Let me know.

4th: On those 3 channels that I mention above. When I hear talking on there. Would that be the TALKGROUPS I am hearing. Because I have no indication of what TALKGROUP(S) are being used when I hear the talking going on. It just shows 1 of those 3 channels from what I mentioned above, that the talking is taking place on. So if there is a way to show what TALKGROUP(S) are being used when I hear the talking. Let me know, because I would really like to know.

I will be waiting for any replies to this E-mail with help. Thanks.

Coolguy.

mciupa

Database Admin
It sounds like the scanner is not yet configured for trunktracking. Before you go plugging in freq.'s there are some preparations to do.

Start with this link:http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17856

I know , it is a lot of reading but , you've spent some money on your radio and should have it working properly. It may seem hard and a lot of steps to do, but take your time .
What I am speaking of is entering the base ,step and offset . If you don't follow these preliminary steps ,you will not see talkgroups show up.
Without someone being there to help you along , the link I provided is the best way to get you scanning properly.
Good Luck.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Cool guy, congrats for finally going digital.
Follow what mike is saying, read the sticky up there.

You might want to invest in software. Arc250 is excellant.
As long as you know how to cut and paste you can apply lists, from here, this site (or manipulate them as you see fit) to your scanner.
It is much easier to programing by hand.
If you need any more assistance pls dont hesitate.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again. I read that page on here. I already did that what it said to do.

When I am in ID Search mode. It is still scanning that bank that I have those freq's put in there such as: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275. When ever the OPP, MNR or the MTO come on. I only hear them talking on these freq's. But like I said, it goes from that one freq to another one, as soon as sometimes when only the one person is done talking. Then I will get the rest of that conversation on that other freq that it goes to next. So I would like to know is this what it is supposed to do or no. I would like to know.

While I am doing a search range between: 140.000 - 144.000, and when it stops on that main CC - Control Channel for a brief second, it will show me the MOT ID. Then like I said I will write that ID down and then I press MENU, Scan Option, then Trunk, then Select my bank, then #3 for TALKGROUP. Finally I add that TALKGROUP along with others that I find into the TALKGROUP Location. After that I dunnno how I am supposed to use those TALKGROUPS. That is the only time I will see wut ID is being used, when I do that SEARCH RANGE.

But sometimes when there is talking going on, I will do that search range and when it stops on the CC - Control Channel for the brief second. I sometimes don't see any ID showing. So what does that mean if I don't see one when they are talking while I am doing that search range. (When I am in the search range, I don't here them talking when I am doing that. I just do this when I hear them talking while I am in ID Search, then I do that search range, so I can find out what MOT ID is being used.)

So I still haven't figured out yet how to get the ID'(S) like: 8606, etc to show while I am in ID Search Mode or ID Scan Mode. I would really like to know. So let me know.

I am wondering if there is a way you can just search or scan the ID'(S) like: 8608, ect. So I can just stay on that ID and get the whole conversation. If there is a way, I would really like to know so I can do it. But if you can't do that, then I won't worry about it.

Or when I am hearing them talking on these freq's: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275. Is this all I will hear them on Or what I am wondering would I be able to hear and listen to them just on there ID like I mentioned above: 8608, etc. Let me know, because this is starting to bother me that I can't figure it out yet.

Another thing, when I am listening to them on those freq's: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275. Say if they were talking on 141.930, sometimes or most times it sounds like they are breaking up, like they are sounding like they are getting distorted or kinda starting to sound like a robot talking. When it does this. Does it mean they are too far away for me to hear them or what. Let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies to all these questions that I just asked here in this post. I would prefer to have all these questions answered, so I can finally figure out how exactly to get all these things figured out once and for all. So it will finally stop bugging me. Thanks.

Coolguy

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much the whole jist of trunking, that's why they can put so many users on a system. Once they unkey, it looks for the next available frequency so they can continue the conversation.

Your radio is doing what it's supposed to do.

This shall be my last reply to you on this. You're too far away for me.

coolguy said:
Hello again. I read that page on here. I already did that what it said to do.

When I am in ID Search mode. It is still scanning that bank that I have those freq's put in there such as: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275. When ever the OPP, MNR or the MTO come on. I only hear them talking on these freq's. But like I said, it goes from that one freq to another one, as soon as sometimes when only the one person is done talking. Then I will get the rest of that conversation on that other freq that it goes to next. So I would like to know is this what it is supposed to do or no. I would like to know.

Coolguy

jellotor

It sounds to me (and it's difficult to cut through all of the extraneous gibberish) that you have at least one channel programmed as a conventional channel rather than a trunked channel. You will need to stop worrying about talkgroup IDs and make sure each trunked frequency is programmed as Motorola Type 2 VHF trunked and not conventional...the easy way to do that is look for the 'M' on the display when you park the scanner on a channel. You will also need to make sure the base/offset/step are programmed properly.

I can understand your frustration but slow down and troubleshoot properly.

1. Check the system programming...should be Motorola Type 2 VHF
2. Check the base/offset/step numbers
3. Make sure each frequency is set to trunking (the 'M' in the display...you don't want any 'C')
4. Check for reception on the control channel...if you can't recieve the control channel you're boned
5. Perform and ID Search and see if the scanner will properly track the conversation as it switches frequencies

If it doesn't go back to step one and check and recheck. Once you have that all sorted out, you can edit scanlists to your heart's content.

seamusg

jellotor said:
It sounds to me (and it's difficult to cut through all of the extraneous gibberish) that you have at least one channel programmed as a conventional channel rather than a trunked channel. You will need to stop worrying about talkgroup IDs and make sure each trunked frequency is programmed as Motorola Type 2 VHF trunked and not conventional...the easy way to do that is look for the 'M' on the display when you park the scanner on a channel. You will also need to make sure the base/offset/step are programmed properly.

I can understand your frustration but slow down and troubleshoot properly.

1. Check the system programming...should be Motorola Type 2 VHF
2. Check the base/offset/step numbers
3. Make sure each frequency is set to trunking (the 'M' in the display...you don't want any 'C')
4. Check for reception on the control channel...if you can't recieve the control channel you're boned
5. Perform and ID Search and see if the scanner will properly track the conversation as it switches frequencies

If it doesn't go back to step one and check and recheck. Once you have that all sorted out, you can edit scanlists to your heart's content.
He said he has a BC796D not a PRO96 on a BC796 a channel is set as Trunked or Not. It sounds like he's searching a frequency range rather than scanning a system. Also a BC796 will only go into from seanch mode to ID Search mode unless it's receiving a trunked CC. Either he does not understand trunking or has the scanner programed wrong.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

When I said I was doing a search range between: 140.000 - 144.000. I was doing that so I can find out what MOT ID was being used when it stoped on the main CC - Control Channel for that brief second. So I could write it down and then put it in the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner.

So was that thing that jellotor told me to do, was that for a BC796D Scanner or another type of scanner. Let me know.

Also I was wondering what it means when the OPP/ MNR or the MTO are talking and when I do a search range that same time. When it stops and that main CC - Control Channel for that brief second or few seconds. It doesn't show a MOT ID. So does that mean they are not using a ID or what. Let me know. So I will know everytime I see no MOT ID show up while I am doing a search range while one of them are talking.

So I guess there is no way to just scan or stay on that particular TALKGROUP like: 8608 etc. If there is let me know. Because I am still wondering.

Another thing I was wondering. Is if someone on here can help me identify all these TALKGROUPS that I found while I was in the search range and when it stopped on that main CC - Control Channel for that brief second or few seconds and showed the MOT ID.
The MOT ID's that showed up are: 33328, 17376, 24896, 57344, 2800, 2784, 4736, 3696, 15728, 45056, 44944, 46208, 63104, 12448, 29040, 24576, 36864, 3152, 63392, 17904, 60608, 6656, 45184, 18688, 4144, 20256, 23776, 17216 & 14848. If anyone can identify all these and let me know if and who these would belong to. So if they show up again, even though I already have all these put into the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner. I will know who they belong to. So let me know.

One other thing. What does it do when you put in the base/offset/step numbers. Does it help find stuff easier or what. Let me know.

Another thing, when I am listening to them on those freq's: 141.930, 142.065 & 142.275. Say if they were talking on 141.930, sometimes or most times it sounds like they are breaking up, like they are sounding like they are getting distorted or kinda starting to sound like a robot talking. When it does this. Does it mean they are too far away for me to hear them or what. Let me know.

Sorry for so many posts from me. But when I get this stuff finally figured out with help from anyone and everyone on here. Then I won't have to send anymore.

So I will be waiting for any replies to my POST. I would like all my questions answered that I just asked in this E-mail. Thanks again.

Coolguy

seamusg

coolguy said:
Hello again.

When I said I was doing a search range between: 140.000 - 144.000. I was doing that so I can find out what MOT ID was being used when it stoped on the main CC - Control Channel for that brief second. So I could write it down and then put it in the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner.

So was that thing that jellotor told me to do, was that for a BC796D Scanner or another type of scanner. Let me know.

Also I was wondering what it means when the OPP/ MNR or the MTO are talking and when I do a search range that same time. When it stops and that main CC - Control Channel for that brief second or few seconds. It doesn't show a MOT ID. So does that mean they are not using a ID or what. Let me know. So I will know everytime I see no MOT ID show up while I am doing a search range while one of them are talking.

So I guess there is no way to just scan or stay on that particular TALKGROUP like: 8608 etc. If there is let me know. Because I am still wondering.

Another thing I was wondering. Is if someone on here can help me identify all these TALKGROUPS that I found while I was in the search range and when it stopped on that main CC - Control Channel for that brief second or few seconds and showed the MOT ID.
The MOT ID's that showed up are: 33328, 17376, 24896, 57344, 2800, 2784, 4736, 3696, 15728, 45056, 44944, 46208, 63104, 12448, 29040, 24576, 36864, 3152, 63392, 17904, 60608, 6656, 45184, 18688, 4144, 20256, 23776, 17216 & 14848. If anyone can identify all these and let me know if and who these would belong to. So if they show up again, even though I already have all these put into the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner. I will know who they belong to. So let me know.

One other thing. What does it do when you put in the base/offset/step numbers. Does it help find stuff easier or what. Let me know.

Sorry for so many posts from me. But when I get this stuff finally figured out with help from anyone and everyone on here. Then I won't have to send anymore.

So I will be waiting for any replies to my POST. I would like all my questions answered that I just asked in this E-mail. Thanks again.

Coolguy
The old ideas of scanning frequencies does not work with a trunked system. I'm guessing since you're showing 140 mhz freqs your in Canada. It would help if you said what Prov, County and City you're at and a link to what system you're trying to program. It sounds like you don't have a trunked system programed in but are trying to scan a system's freq's

mciupa

Database Admin
seamusg said:
It would help if you said what Prov, County and City you're at and a link to what system you're trying to program. It sounds like you don't have a trunked system programed in but are trying to scan a system's freq's

seamus , just to put you on the same page as us , this is the system he is referring to :http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3511 Up that way , we only need band plan 1 , even though there are three listed.

I think he will need some local assistance. I believe there is another fellow up that way, hopefully he can help set up the scanner.

jellotor

mciupa said:
I think he will need some local assistance. I believe there is another fellow up that way, hopefully he can help set up the scanner.

Granted...but I'll give it one more shot.

Coolguy, when you're doing a FREQUENCY search and finding a control channel you are indeed seeing talkgroups that are in use on that site. However, you will not be able to scan the frequencies for the Fleetnet site you want to monitor CONVENTIONALLY and have any success following the conversation...you MUST program the frequencies for the site (control channel, alternate control channel and voice frequencies) into a bank in your 796D along with information about which type of trunked system it is (Motorola Type 2 VHF) and some data regarding base/offset/step, all of which is readily available in the link mciupa posted.

However, you need to read your 796D manual and as much information on these forums about trunking and even the scanont FAQ (http://www.hamsexy.com/scanont-faq.html) because you evidently aren't picking up the concepts behind trunking. I'll apologise in advance for what I'm about to say, but as my grandmother used to say, "The Lord helps those who help themselves." You need to exhibit the basic understanding of trunking that, frankly speaking, is a minimum requirement for us to help you. We've begun to nail down what your problem is in this thread but you're not quite on the same level, comprehension wise, as the rest of us...and that means a lesson in Trunked Radio 101 before we can go much farther.

Once you get there you'll realize that it is remarkably simple to set up a fleetnet site in a bank on your scanner.

jellotor

coolguy said:

Ok, fair enough. That is one way to log talkgroup IDs but certainly not an effective one. Go to the database and look up the system you're trying to monitor (mciupa's link...getting lazy here!) and write down on a pad of paper the frequencies listed under the site you want to listen to...for example, site 14 (McKerrow) has the following frequencies listed: 141.30000, 141.70500, 142.09500, 142.45500, 142.68000, 142.90500.

Next, write down the base/offset/step numbers from the top of that page under Custom Frequency Table. Your 796D needs this information to determine which frequency is being used by the radio using a given talkgroup at a given time.

Finally, you'll have to read your manual for the information needed to program a Motorola Type 2 VHF system into a 796D. I am not familiar with that scanner but rest assured, it can be done.

coolguy said:

What you are betraying here is a lack of knowledge of trunked systems. Simply put the control channel is just DATA transmitted over the air. A radio decodes this data for information that is needed to determine which frequency is next used for a call. The talkgroup is simply a reference number for related radios to use when they want to be able to listen/talk to each other.

coolguy said:

Buddy, we need to get you to properly trunktrack this system, first!

coolguy said:

Don't worry about it...there is expertise here that is willing to be shared. But as I gently (?) pointed out in my other post, you sometimes have to do a bit of reading before you dive head-first into a new concept. Trial and error sometimes works, but only if you have some knowledge to back it up...

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

Ok. I got all that. I will try my best to figure it out. And if I still can't figure it out. Then I will ask you guys again for your help. I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me so far. Since I am new to this kind of radio. Since like I said before. This is my first time to have this type of scanner. So once again thanks.

Now I am just wondering if someone can identify all these MOT ID's that I found while I was doing a search range and when it stopped and that main CC - Control Channel for that brief few seconds or couple of seconds or when I pressed "HOLD" to stop on that main CC - Control Channel. (142.500 here in Chapleau). The ID's I found are as follows: 33328, 17376, 24896, 57344, 2800, 2784, 4736, 3696, 15728, 45056, 44944, 46208, 63104, 12448, 29040, 24576, 36864, 3152, 63392, 17904, 60608, 6656, 45184, 18688, 4144, 20256, 23776, 17216 & 14848. If anyone can identify all these and let me know if and who these would belong to. So if they show up again, even though I already have all these put into the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner. I will know who they belong to. So let me know. Please. I would really appreciate it.

Also I was wondering what it means when the OPP/ MNR or the MTO are talking and when I do a search range that same time. When it stops and that main CC - Control Channel for that brief second or few seconds and/or if I press "HOLD" to stop on that main CC - Control Channel like: (142.500. That is the main CC - Control Channel for here in Chapleau). It doesn't show a MOT ID sometimes. So does that mean they are not using a ID or what. Let me know. So I will know everytime what it means when I don't see a MOT ID show up while I am doing a search range while one of them are talking.

I will be waiting for any replies to this E-mail again. I would prefer to have all these questions answered PLEASE. I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Coolguy

SCPD

QRT
Hello again. Thanks for all your replies and your help. I really appreciate it.

But I would still like to get this one last thing answered. After it is answered. This should be my last post for a long time. Hopefully. Unless something else happens to come up.

Now I am just wondering if someone can identify all these MOT ID's that I found while I was doing a search range and when it stopped and that main CC - Control Channel for that brief few seconds or couple of seconds or when I pressed "HOLD" to stop on that main CC - Control Channel. (142.500 here in Chapleau). The ID's I found are as follows: 33328, 17376, 24896, 57344, 2800, 2784, 4736, 3696, 15728, 45056, 44944, 46208, 63104, 12448, 29040, 24576, 36864, 3152, 63392, 17904, 60608, 6656, 45184, 18688, 4144, 20256, 23776, 17216 & 14848. If anyone can identify all these and let me know if and who these would belong to. So if they show up again, even though I already have all these put into the TALKGROUP Location in my BC796D Scanner. I will know who they belong to. So let me know. Please. I would really appreciate it.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this last question. PLEASE. Thanks again for all your help, everyone on here who did reply to my posts to help me out.

Coolguy

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Well how about you tell us what you hear on each of those tg's and maybe someone will be able to help you in putting an ID to them.

What do you hear on each talkgroup? OPP/MTO/MNR ??????????????

2800, 2784 looks like MNR talkgroups, 3696 looks like an MTO Enforcement talkgroup. The rest all look like gibberish to me.

We shall await your replies.

jellotor

coolguy said:

Ok, this is my final bit of advice and if you actually read my earlier posts you'll see that it's all pretty similar. We can't help you positively identify these talkgroups since we're not able (at least most of us) to hear them. We're not in Chapleau. You are. But instead of working towards getting your 796D to properly track Fleetnet you've got this strange fascination with talkgroups you're not yet capable of listening to.

WHEN you get your scanner set up properly...with or without the help of the patient members here and at scanont...you will find two or three things about these talkgroups. The OPP will be P25 audio and will use softids such as 6Tango 401 whereas MTO enforcement will use a slightly different softid with a four digit number. Then, with the aid of a map and some time spent listening, you'll be able to figure out some rough geographical boundaries for the talkgroups.

That's IF you can get the scanner to track the system.

Good luck.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again. I am just letting everyone know that I got some help from someone and got my problem figured out.

So thank you again for everyone who replied and tried to help me out. I appreciate it.

Coolguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.