BC796D Vista attempting again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Well I attempting to connect my BC796D to vista again. I am a little closer that in the past. Now the software(BC SS and Scanner Control) Recognize the port(even when i change the port number), but yet it don't pick up speed or that its connect to the pc. Any Ideas?

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
what kind of serial cable are you using? I picked up a 9-pin serial cable to 9-pin serial at radio shack and works fine for me on scanner control with vista home premium

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
I started out with a gigaware DB9 to usb. I also have a basic DB9 to usb(radio shack; 16in long) which i am using now.

Also have an little up date; Using the radio shack DB9 to usb, i can control menu function, rsm button enter button, but can not read back to computer(read backs or display on remote).

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
im sorry my cable is 9-pin serial to usb, i apologize for the error. so when you click on monitor radio, you get nothing on the display? what about to download or upload to scanner

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Try this= press MENU, 3: SYSTEM OPTION, 5:pC CONTROL, 6:57600 bps. make sure the pc control is not OFF. Then Try To Connect it. Shut Down Scanner Control remove scanner cable from usb port turn off scanner. then turn on the scanner re-insert the usb cable to pc and re-start scanner control

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of things first. Did you load the correct drivers for your USB cable (assuming you are using one - most new PCs would need it)? Did you check Device Manager to see if the port that was assigned was even available? Is there any setup needed in the 796 to set the device speed for the scanner's port (I think there is), and if there is, did you do it? Did you do any configuration in the software you are using?

What is Scanner Control? I think you mean Scan Control? Fixes for bugs and such simply doesn't seem to exist anymore, although questions are answered on its Yahoo group - and insofar as the SS software is concerned, a lot of people use that CD for a coffee holder - it isn't very good. Personally, I think ProScan is far and away better.

I haven't used Scan Control in a long time, but I believe it scans for a valid COM port. You should check that the COM port assigned in Device Manager is one Scan Control can recognize....73 Mike

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
What is Scanner Control? I think you mean Scan Control? Fixes for bugs and such simply doesn't seem to exist anymore, although questions are answered on its Yahoo group - and insofar as the SS software is concerned, a lot of people use that CD for a coffee holder - it isn't very good. Personally, I think ProScan is far and away better.

I Meant Scan Control, Im A Proscan user used scan control at the beginning to try things out but its very glitchy

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Scan control Demo was download to verify it was a conflict of software to vista.
Which Scan Control sees the Com Port it is registered at. It pick up the com port, scans for speeds and says no connection.
I have set all components to the same speeds.

No uploads, and now down loads. The only thing i get is button response on bc_ss.

I do have all the current and correct drivers for either cable that i attempted to use. There is no conflict in com port assignments.

I do plan on going to Proscan in the feature. I just don't want to buy a program if there is something wrong with the scanner.

Last edited:

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Try this= press MENU, 3: SYSTEM OPTION, 5:pC CONTROL, 6:57600 bps. make sure the pc control is not OFF. Then Try To Connect it. Shut Down Scanner Control remove scanner cable from usb port turn off scanner. then turn on the scanner re-insert the usb cable to pc and re-start scanner control

Tried it, and still the same result. I had hope...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.