BC796D won't scan trunked frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjarvis

This scanner (BC796D) was working great. Scanning all open frequencies and stopping on police channels if activity. I inherited this unit from a deceased family member so it has already been programmed to many frequencies. I am new to this unit and terminology (trunk, toned, squelch type etc, etc,).
Unfortunatley when I went snooping into the menu (my fault) just to look around I must have selected one of the menu numbers by mistake and now scanner is scanning all the open channels but bypasses the police frequencies. I can "HOLD" and manually select one of the many police frequencies. No problem monitoring and listening that channel. But back to scan and it does not stop on police channels. I have to repeat above and manually go to police channel and monitor one at a time. What did I do in the menu? I am afraid to go back into the menu selections to see what I did.

bjarvis

tvengr

Well Known Member
This scanner (BC796D) was working great.
I have several 796's. You have 10 banks and 10 lists within each bank. While scanning, if you press the decimal point button, you can toggle between banks and scan lists to see which are active. If Bank is showing, pressing a number on the keypad will toggle the bank on and off. While scanning a single bank, if List is showing, pressing the number on the keypad will toggle the list on and off. If you will give us your city, county, and state, and which agencies your want to monitor, we can look up the info on the Radio Reference database to see if you are dealing with conventional frequencies or trunked systems. By any chance, were you given a computer along with the scanner? It may have programming software on it. I use ARC250 for programming my 796's.

Last edited:

bjarvis

I have several 796's. You have 10 banks and 10 lists within each bank. While scanning, if you press the decimal point button, you can toggle between banks and scan lists to see which are active. If Bank is showing, pressing a number on the keypad will toggle the bank on and off. While scanning a single bank, if List is showing, pressing the number on the keypad will toggle the list on and off. If you will give us your city, county, and state, and which agencies your want to monitor, we can look up the info on the Radio Reference database to see if you are dealing with conventional frequencies or trunked systems. By any chance, were you given a computer along with the scanner? It may have programming software on it. I use ARC250 for programming my 796's.

Thank You. I have lost confidence in trying your suggestion by myself but sounds like good advice as all above are. I have an experienced scanner friend of mine going to help try these fixes. I live in South Western Ontario Canada. Thanks again Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.