Bc796d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendragon536

I'm having problems getting this radio to trunk-track. I don't know if I've missed something or have a setting wrong or just pissed off the radio gods.
Lane Co Oregon switched to a P25 standard UHF TRS. Data frequencies are loaded (453.8125 primary) and I can hear the digital signal and receive it at five bars. I have all the other frequencies programmed in as well as all the TG's. The only wild card I have is I don't have a clue to the space and offset settings and can find no info as to what they are.
With trunking turned on, I get nothing. No active TG's on scan or search, no communication, nothing but dead air. Turn off trunk and go conventional and I hear everything. Problem with this is I can't lock out encrypted TG's.
Can someone tell me if this is a decoding issue? A setting issue? Or should I go rock softly in the corner because there is nothing that can be done?
Thanks for any wisdom, Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't say what radio you are using; I would suggest dumping out your programming to a file and posting it. Let others look at what you've done. Probably the best place to do this would be the Oregon forum, and/or the NWScan Yahoo group.

One thing you might want to verify is that Lane county is really using P25; there is a great deal of confusion as to that vs. having a system using P25 voice, but it has analog talkgroups. If that is the case, then you will need base/offsets. Folks skilled with UniTrunker in your area should be able to determine that.

73 Mike

Last edited:

Highpockets

I'm having problems getting this radio to trunk-track. I don't know if I've missed something or have a setting wrong or just pissed off the radio gods.
Lane Co Oregon switched to a P25 standard UHF TRS. Data frequencies are loaded (453.8125 primary) and I can hear the digital signal and receive it at five bars. I have all the other frequencies programmed in as well as all the TG's. The only wild card I have is I don't have a clue to the space and offset settings and can find no info as to what they are.
With trunking turned on, I get nothing. No active TG's on scan or search, no communication, nothing but dead air. Turn off trunk and go conventional and I hear everything. Problem with this is I can't lock out encrypted TG's.
Can someone tell me if this is a decoding issue? A setting issue? Or should I go rock softly in the corner because there is nothing that can be done?
Thanks for any wisdom, Dan

I hope someone else will back this up, I believe Uniden came out with an upgrade for the BC796D that you will no longer have to add the base, offset, spacing for a p25 system, maybe check the Uniden Site , or see if someone will verify this.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes he did, my bad. I believe this is the system he is discussing here...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5641

The last upgrade for the 796 (and similar), if memory serves, had to do with losing the connection to the built in digital card.

Still dumping the programming is going to be a big help in determining what is wrong. My bet would be some option is not turned on, or as Dubbin suggested, the wrong bank type was used.

73 Mike

Highpockets

Yes he did, my bad. I believe this is the system he is discussing here...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5641

The last upgrade for the 796 (and similar), if memory serves, had to do with losing the connection to the built in digital card.

Still dumping the programming is going to be a big help in determining what is wrong. My bet would be some option is not turned on, or as Dubbin suggested, the wrong bank type was used.

73 Mike

Read message # 9 in thsi forum.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100820

Pendragon536

Thanks for the suggestion - downloading the latest software is the one thing I haven't done yet. As far as the digital connection, that seems to be working fine - I get all P25 digital traffic, just no trunk tracking.
Ka3jjz, you're correct on the system we're using. And yes, I have my scanner set to a Type II P25 UHF TRS
I'll try the software thingy and get back to you...
Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not sure about this, but at least on the 396, UHF and P25 system types are 2 completely different settings.

You don't need to look far to find software for the 796 - they're all listed here (anything in blue and/or underlined is a link). The champs seem to be ARC250 and ProScan.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC796D

73 Mike

Pendragon536

Fixed it!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. After kicking myself numerous times I realized that my firmware had not been upgraded since purchase (4 yrs ago). Works like magic now that the radio is up to date.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.