BC898T- need help programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3nitnweed

For 20 years I have been happily listening to my old Bearcat 20/20; although every now and then a frequency would disappear. Finally it became clear I would have to update to something that could handle the "new" systems. I know this scanner is not top of the line as most of them mentioned here, but it was the best I could afford that appeared to be able to do the job. Somehow I read everything I can find about how to program the trunking, but nothing seems to work and I end up saying to myself,"Now what did they mean by that?"

The frequencies I want to start out with are DOT frequencies heard in Pierce county, Wa. I've got lists of numbers from here and Intercept, but the most I've ever heard was some code and static.

So can one of you folks tell me, step by step, what and how do I get the DOT? I seem to be thicker than a plank about this. Maybe if I can do one, I can figure out the others later.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For Washington frequency specific questions (assuming it's not in our database, and I didn't see it there...), I'd suggest going to the Washington forum, Intercept's BBS and/or Yahoo groups, where there's at least 2 scanning groups for that area I know of.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwscan/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WashingtonScan/

Now as for setting up trunking, let's start by knowing exactly which system(s) you are trying to program. Supply the URL from the database, and let's go from there. The 898 isn't digital capable, so if you are trying to program something in the database that mentions APCO-25 or Project 25, you already have an issue (that's a digital format the 898 cannot handle).

73 Mike

Last edited:

j3nitnweed

I found the Wa. DOT in the database - www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=116, and have tried almost all of the frequencies. As you see, it's a LTR system. Also found a list on Intercept. However the manual says the frequencies have to be entered in order, if the agency lists one. I've tried in the various orders that seem to be listed as well as just everything in no order. There was code on one of the 47 frequencies and bursts of static on a 800 one.

Perhaps this is a second question, but I don't understand what the manual means when it says ID's are already programed. If so, how do I access them? There is a lot in that manual I don't understand, it seems I'm not alone there.

n2mdk

It's an LTR Multinet system and as such no scanner can track it. Enter the site closest to you and don't set it as LTR but as conventional.

j3nitnweed

I'll try that, but why - if LTR can't be tracked - does the manual say to enter the frequencies in "listed order"?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Likely as not, as poorly as this manual is written, they were talking about LTR Standard (not the same as MulitNet) or EDACS, both of which require this.

73 Mike

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Also as the preprogrammed ID's for your area, i know my BC898 did not have any Id's in them, if you do the steps to programming trunckin this is how u do it

1. hold trunk for about 5 secs and you will see the letters a-j start flashing, these are banks where u can enter in trunking sytems, only 1 trunking per bank..

2. then select the system in your area, you will see on your scanner e2-800 e2-900 uhf hi uhf lo , their is one that looks like Le to em but the top half of the E is cut off, i do belive that is for the LTR systems, then program all the freq. that are listed for your area that are trunking, remember now only 1 trunking system per channel,but you can enter in conventional (normal freq)..

3. when you are done entering make sure u press the E button on your scanner to enter them in, then push the SRC when you are all finished, it may take a couple mins for it to get working,so be patient, In my area we use the motorala type 2 but LTR is somewhat similar, once it finds the control channel, then when transmits are made they should display...You will prob see some numbers those are ID numbers, like say your dispatch is for east end is 50 that is what it will show...

If ya have any probs let me know and i would be more then happy to help ya...shoot me a Pm or you can respond here...have fun good luck and happy scanning from the hawks nest

n2mdk

I'll try that, but why - if LTR can't be tracked - does the manual say to enter the frequencies in "listed order"?

There are 3 "flavors" of LTR , LTR or LTR Standard, LTR Multinet, and LTR Passport, only the Standard type can be monitored on a standalone scanner.

LTR is somewhat similar, once it finds the control channel

LTR doesn't use a control channel on Standard systems the control data is sent as subaudable data along with the voice. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/LTR

Last edited:

j3nitnweed

Thank you for the infor about ID's, I'll try that, maybe I haven't been patient enough.

As to the DOT, I'm about ready to give up them, the more responses I get, the more confused I'm becoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.