BC898t questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Hi their i just recently got back into the scanning hobby and have a couple questions..

1.i am wondering if my scanner is capable of trunking the project-25 , if so which option do i choose E2800 , E2900 etc..

2. I am a little new to the trunking concept, how do i program 2 seperate trunking options..I do know they have to go on seperate banks, but when i go to monitor the banks seperately it only picks up the very first trunking system i put in...I live in windsor ontario, i have the city trunk as in fire and police...but i am trying to program the bell fleet which has the ems..i get confused on the part where it asks for hex numbers, base numbers, i have found the spot to do this in my scanner,but it asks me to select a,b,c channel... i programmed on bank d the freq numbers, so i dunno little confused...

3.also just went all out and got a discone antenna (outdoor) with a 45 foot mast any idea of just a rough idea of range, i am mostly interested in avaition...Thier is a AFB nearby about 40 miles from where i am (selffridge air force base)...just wondering if this was a good choice of antenna???

I appreciate for any respones and perhaps tips...Also great forum and site lots of reading to do...once again thanks

n2mdk

I think I can help you with the 2nd question as well.
Since the Bell Fleetnet is a VHF system you need to program in the 3 sets of base, step, and offset that's where the A, B, C comes in you need to program each one of the Custom frequency tables into each one.

Base Step Offset
A: 141.015 15.0 380
B: 151.7300 15.0 579
C: 154.3200 15.0 632

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re your question 3 - you might be pushing it with 40 miles on a discone, depending on terrain and frequency. On VHF hi and below, maybe. UHF and above - that's iffy. To increase your chances, you will need to be able to look in a specific direction - a beam such as Grove's or the one DPD and Antenna Warehouse sells are some examples. Feed that with good coax (no I didn't say that RG8x junk from RS - a 9913 or RG6) and perhaps a preamp, and you should be good to go.

The discone should have no trouble with inbound/outbound flights that come across your area, however. 73 Mike

Last edited:

N8IAA

hawkeye32 said:
Hi their i just recently got back into the scanning hobby and have a couple questions..

1.i am wondering if my scanner is capable of trunking the project-25 , if so which option do i choose E2800 , E2900 etc..

2. I am a little new to the trunking concept, how do i program 2 seperate trunking options..I do know they have to go on seperate banks, but when i go to monitor the banks seperately it only picks up the very first trunking system i put in...I live in windsor ontario, i have the city trunk as in fire and police...but i am trying to program the bell fleet which has the ems..i get confused on the part where it asks for hex numbers, base numbers, i have found the spot to do this in my scanner,but it asks me to select a,b,c channel... i programmed on bank d the freq numbers, so i dunno little confused...

3.also just went all out and got a discone antenna (outdoor) with a 45 foot mast any idea of just a rough idea of range, i am mostly interested in avaition...Thier is a AFB nearby about 40 miles from where i am (selffridge air force base)...just wondering if this was a good choice of antenna???

I appreciate for any respones and perhaps tips...Also great forum and site lots of reading to do...once again thanks
Question 1: No, it will not do P25.
Question 2: The A, B, C, etc. are the banks in the scanner where you put either conventional frequencies, or, trunking frequencies.
Question 3: Yes, at 45' the discone will work well for listening to VHF and UHF milair frequencies. Along with any conventional public service frequencies.
I own the older brother of the 898, the 895, and programming is very similar. There are some upgrades, such as, 200 more channels, DCS(digital pl) and more step sizes. I wish that they had included alphatags too:(
Larry

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok cool any idea on how or where i can get these upgrades??? Also in regards to question 2 i understand that these are banks for programming, but i have letters a-j, i program one set of trunking on d channel per say then when i go to enter the base number, and all that stuff it only gives me 3 channels to enter that a,b,c but the freq are on d?? not sure if that makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.