BC92XLT: BC92XLT weak at receiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaukScanR

Feed Provider
I purchased 2 used scanners on Ebay. The BC72XLT receives great with the stock antenna. Just received the BC92XLT and it sucks! Same freqs programmed in. Tried several locations, with stock antenna and an upgrade Radio Shack antenna. It will pick up an occasional broadcast clearly, but most everything else comes in so scratchy that I don't hear a word, or it picks up nothing at all. Doesn't seem to matter where I set the squelch.

I read a review on the 92 on Eham, but didn't see anything that would make me expect this.
Does anyone else here own the 92? Does it seem to receive ok? Is this model known to be weak, or did I buy a defective unit?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That scanner is probably 7 or 8 years old. Electronic equipment deteriorates with age depending on frequency of use, improper handling, and things like exposure to smoke and temperature extremes. It just may be due to age and misuse rather than being defective. Kinda like buying a used car.

Also that older scanner may not handle narrow band which may affect reception.

SaukScanR

Feed Provider
Thank you for the reply W8RMH!
I didn't realize that electronics deteriorate with age. Maybe they had it running 24/7, maybe even provided a feed with it.
It does seem to do a little better outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.