bc95xlt...when narrowbanding happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been looking this up and I can't seem to find anything. I figured I'd ask the community for some help.

Will my BC95XLT still work when narrowbanding "happens"?

I know the steps will be different but will that affect my reception?

I read somewhere that my volume might be lower and that the distance between the transmitter and my scanner will result in missing some traffic (as in, the same distance will result in occasional drops based on the power of the transmitter). Is there any truth to that?

Is my scanner going to become obsolete? ...it's used for public safety on VHF-high and UHF
and if so, any suggestions on what to upgrade to?

thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It'll work just fine.

Low band is not affected at all, and the scanner already has the correct steps on UHF. It doesn't tune to the 7.5 kHz steps on VHF, but if you tune to the nearest 5 kHz step you should still receive the signal without a problem. So for example, Tuxedo PD on 155.4225 your scanner would tune to either 155.420 or 155.425 instead.

Yes, the volume may be a little bit lower since the scanner is listening for a 25 kHz wide signal, not a 12.5 kHz one, but it's not drastic. As far as losing range, unless you're already right on the edge of being able to pull signals in, you shouldn't notice much change there, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.