bc996 or psr600

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill44

which radio is easyer to progam ,the psr600 so far is a pain in the rear,is bc996 any easyer

af5rn

I don't know anything about the PSR, but there is nothing easy about the 996, lol. Even with the best software, it will take you at least a week to figure out the basics. I still love the 996, but I think if I were you, I'd stick with what I have already spent some time with. Otherwise, you're starting over from scratch, just compounding your frustration. Unless, of course, there are other things you don't like about the PSR that may be better with the 996.

No matter what you get, you HAVE TO get software for it. You'll set fire to that thing long before you ever get it programmed manually.

Airdorn

Get a 996. It won't take you a week to figure it out, sheesh. Some people..... :)

It's a lot different from the traditional 'banks of channels' paradigm, but the epiphany will come to you a lot faster than a week, and you'll be glad you got the 996 and you'll absolutely love it.

rvawatch

ive been thinking of selling my 996t. i just dont use it much. but now maybe we could work out a trade?

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you haven't had any of the recent Uniden's or GRE's then you can probably call it a draw. I got into the Uniden method with the 396 and haven't looked back, so I was intimidated by the GRE's and sold off my PSR500 and PSR600.

Download the manuals and check them out, it should give a good idea of how they operate and program.

The PSR600 has better decode of simulcast APCO25 systems and generally better audio. There are some other features that it has over the Uniden.

The BCD996T from Uniden handles wide area systems using a GPS receiver (user provided) that is phenomenal if you have a system like that in your area. I use this for my local StarCom21 system, it works great. You can also use the GPS feature for conventional and local trunked systems. The 996 also has Fire Tone Out and some other features the PSR600 doesn't.

Look at the feature list, user guides and local reccomendations before deciding. They are both complicated but you should be able to figure it out eventually!

W9NES

Buy a Uniden 996T.I have (6) of them and love them along with my Uniden BC 396T.The computer program make it easy to program both.

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't know anything about the PSR, but there is nothing easy about the 996, lol. Even with the best software, it will take you at least a week to figure out the basics. I still love the 996, but I think if I were you, I'd stick with what I have already spent some time with. Otherwise, you're starting over from scratch, just compounding your frustration. Unless, of course, there are other things you don't like about the PSR that may be better with the 996.

No matter what you get, you HAVE TO get software for it. You'll set fire to that thing long before you ever get it programmed manually.

A week..... did you read the manual or not?

HenryDavid

I have a new 996 with the latest firmware and updates. I have programmed the local Public Safety system into it, in accordance with the owner's manual. Motorola Type II

I programmed in just the control channels and then the talk groups, and everything went fine. Funny thing is, it seems to have put in OTHER talk groups on its own, so now I'm hearing the animal control guys and bus drivers. Are there any easy steps to remedy this?

hntsgt

You may have it set to "ID Search" rather than "ID Scan". While scanning the trunked system you desire hit the function knob & then press the scan/search button. You can toggle between both settings. "ID Scan" will only look for the talkgroups you have programmed into the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.