BC996P2 Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthorne

Premium Subscriber
I HAVE A MAC. I'M A DISABLED VIETNAM ERA VET AND NEED SIMPLE SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD INTO MY BCD996P2. MY WIFE HAS WINDOWS BUT BOTH OF USE ARE NEW TO THE SCANNER WORLD. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND? RTHORNE2@ME.COM

Last edited by a moderator:
SIMPLE SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD INTO MY BCD996P2. MY WIFE HAS WINDOWS
FREEScan will work nicely on your 996P2.

It works on Windows PC.

Good luck!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Here is the User Guide Wiki for the FreeScan software. There are also many YouTube videos showing how to use FreeScan.

While FreeScan is a popular program to start with, it has a couple of disadvantages. It is no longer supported and it cannot program DMR or NXDN digital radio formats which are paid optional formats for the BCD996P2. Paid software options include ProScan, ARC-XT and BcTool. Each of these have a 30-day free trial. More information for these paid alternatives is at:

Sonnyhad3

I HAVE A MAC. I'M A DISABLED VIETNAM ERA VET AND NEED SIMPLE SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD INTO MY BCD996P2. MY WIFE HAS WINDOWS BUT BOTH OF USE ARE NEW TO THE SCANNER WORLD. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND? RTHORNE2@ME.COM
I'm also very new and also disable Vietnam Vet. Been at it with same scanner as you for about a week or so. Surprised at how much to learn. I bought Proscan and got some stuff loaded so I can hear some stuff but don't t
Think I'm getting it all

Chris0516

I'm also very new and also disable Vietnam Vet. Been at it with same scanner as you for about a week or so. Surprised at how much to learn. I bought Proscan and got some stuff loaded so I can hear some stuff but don't t
Think I'm getting it all
While I am not a vet, I am physically disabled. I am not new to scanning. I had used FreeScan for several years, before I bought ProScan last week. I have the 325p2. While I continue to 'get my feet wet' with ProScan, I am also using FreeScan as a backup during the learning process. So I can transpose my scanning software 'understanding'.

As for not being able to hear stuff.

1. Check your scanner antenna
2. Check the location of your scanner
3. Check your data to make sure it is entered correctly

Sonnyhad3

While I am not a vet, I am physically disabled. I am not new to scanning. I had used FreeScan for several years, before I bought ProScan last week. I have the 325p2. While I continue to 'get my feet wet' with ProScan, I am also using FreeScan as a backup during the learning process. So I can transpose my scanning software 'understanding'.

As for not being able to hear stuff.

1. Check your scanner antenna
2. Check the location of your scanner
3. Check your data to make sure it is entered correctly
I'm hear some transmissions and some I don't, seems there's a option about tone somewhere that I probably have wrong. Lots to learn! Lol

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
By being a Premium Subscriber and using software to program your scanner most of the database you import into the software and send to the scanner is the correct frequencies and tones for you area. If you are going to buy and use DMR and NXDN then PROSCAN is a better option.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm hear some transmissions and some I don't, seems there's a option about tone somewhere that I probably have wrong. Lots to learn! Lol
The tone option is located in the conventional system frequencies area. Set the Audio Type column to Analog Only then the Tone can be changed.

KC2zZe

I too have purchased a Uniden BCD996P2, as my home county (Orange, NY) will be migrating its EMS Response channels to a 700/800 MHz P25 Phase 2 trunked system dubbed CoRNet after a shutdown of the existing VHF-high band analog Response system on June 1 and after hearing from other scannists that they have had success in using this particular model of scanner to monitor talkgroups on Orange's Countywide Radio Network.

I downloaded FreeScan (2.18-beta6), as recommenced above, onto two laptops, first onto one still using Windows XP Professional then, after the first one not working, onto one using Windows 7 Home Premium. Neither one of them will recognize the scanner after it is connected to any of the available USB com ports. The device managers on both laptops are showing that a driver is missing. After a series of differently worded google searches, most of which pointed me back to the same website ( BCD996P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki ) that claims to have the drivers (the hyperlink embedded in there appears to be nothing more then Notepad entries and security catalogs), I searched on here for a potential solution. One locked thread suggested that the USB programming cable supplied with the scanner might be broken, so I tried a known working aftermarket USB cable, again with no joy.

Can someone please tell me where I can find the correct driver needed to allow me to connect either one of these two laptops (a Dell Inspiron 1300 and and Acer Aspire 5732Z respectively) to the BCD996P2, using either the supplied USB cable or an aftermarket one, so that I can use FreeScan to program it?

I am not a premium subscriber. I am more than willing to manually program the '996P2, as I've had plenty of experience using previous versions of FreeScan to program a BCD396XT, BCT15X, and other previously supported models.

Last edited:

KC2zZe

Looking yet again: Uniden -> in search box: Bearcat BCD996P2 drivers ->
No products for “Bearcat BCD996P2 drivers” Sorry, we couldn't find any matches.

I'm hoping that the Uniden website you are referring to isn't the exact same one I've embedded as a hyperlink in my post above yours.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping that the Uniden website you are referring to isn't the exact same one I've embedded as a hyperlink in my post above yours.

It is the same as the link you had in your post...... that’s where the driver download is.

The link is directly under the heading that says “Serial Drivers for USB” and the instructions for installing the drivers are directly under that link.

KC2zZe

Thank you, LS101. The step-by-step instructions provided in your link worked, along with the stock cable from the box that the BCD996P2 came in. I'm hoping that I've retained my ability to use the Sentinel software to program my BCD436HP once this is all said and done. I had to take some unusual extra steps regarding the driver for that scanner while activating the driver for the '996P2.

rthorne and Sonnyhad3, thank you both for your service.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry but Sentinel Software does not program the BCD996P2 you will need freescan (freeware no longer supported) or one of the other paid software for scanners my choice would be PROSCAN as it supports almost all Uniden Scanners.

hoping that I've retained my ability to use the Sentinel software
Here's a link for FREEScan, which you can use to program your 996P2

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Here's a link for FREEScan, which you can use to program your 996P2

I think he already has Freescan for his BCD996P2.

I downloaded FreeScan (2.18-beta6), as recommenced above, onto two laptops,

In post 17, he is wondering if he will have any problems continuing to use Sentinel for his BCD436HP. Evidently he had some unusual difficulty on his end with finding and installing the drivers for the 996P2, and he's hoping it won't interfere with his Sentinel install that he has been using for his 436. (No reason it should).

Status
Not open for further replies.