BC996T and EDACS Programming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Well I made the plunge and bought a new BC996T. Spent several hours programming it fresh using ScanControl Software.

Everything works perfectly other than the Collier County, FL EDACS System. I can't get this scanner to hear it at all. I think I have tried about every possible combination on the programming list and still nothing. I tried both wide and narrow band, still nothing.

Collier is the only EDACS system around and the 996T works perfectly on every other county's system within range; Lee, Charlotte, and Hendry. I hear most anything from Collier County on Conventional Freqs but EDACS is silent.

I'm using a Discone for now and did not have any problem with Collier EDACS on my BC898T using this antenna. In fact, if I turn down the squelch on my 898T, it picks up Collier EDACS with just a short 800 mhz antenna sitting on top of my desk.

What am I doing wrong ???

Thanks, Dixieboyfl

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
mancow said:
The database doesn't mention it but maybe they implemented ESK.

Thanks but my BC898T sitting right beside the 996T picks them up without even using an external antenna ???????????????????

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Apart from making sure you respect the LCNs - which is important for EDACS programming - there's another issue. Scan Control's protocol has one thing for the system type, and sometimes RR has another. There is a translation chart on the SC website which shows this clearly;

http://www.scannersoft.com/trunk_system_types.htm

73 Mike

jerk

dixieboyfl said:
Thanks but my BC898T sitting right beside the 996T picks them up without even using an external antenna ???????????????????

Mike
Manually check your settings, One or two software programs I've used have changed stuff incorrectly.

One changed the LCN order for LTR, it could have happened for EDACS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's a common mistake to start programming in channel 0 of the system - you must start in channel 1.

Better still, let SC walk the data from your 898 to the 996 - it has that capability. Then all you should need to do is to set the correct system type.

73 Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no Channel 0 or Channel 1 (or Channel anything) on a 996. Most likely either the system type is set incorrectly or the LCNs were not entered correctly.

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
996T EDACS Fixed

Thanks to all who responded and your suggestions and recommendations.

I found somewhere in the communications between the ScanControl and the 996T there was an error in placing the EDACS freqs.

So, I made a new group, re-entered the freqs in the correct order, and manually set the LCN locations in the software and it worked the first time.

Thanks Again and I hope this helps others that may have a similar issue.

Mike - FL

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If there's a bug in the software Mike, be sure to get on the Scan Control yahoo group and report it. Ken will likely need both the bogus and good .dat file (actually more likely he'll need the .dax file) to compare, in order to see the error

73 Mike

jerk

dixieboyfl said:
Thanks to all who responded and your suggestions and recommendations.

I found somewhere in the communications between the ScanControl and the 996T there was an error in placing the EDACS freqs.

So, I made a new group, re-entered the freqs in the correct order, and manually set the LCN locations in the software and it worked the first time.

Thanks Again and I hope this helps others that may have a similar issue.

Mike - FL
UASD doesn't do that, it works great, and it's free. Just no RR import, but I've never had a problem using it, as I have with other programs as I previously posted. Glad it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.