BC996T is complicated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
WOW!!! I have been into scanners for YEARS, but last week took home the 996T book to start going thru it. Please tell me in reality it is not as complicated as going thru the book makes it out to be.

I have used a BC780xlt for a long time so thought I was ready for the 996T...

I DID NOT have the radio to play with, as it was being professionally installed in the company vehicle. But I think this is going to be a daunting task.

Those of you who have already done this before, please change my attitude.

BTW, I am supposed to be the resident scanner-guy, so I am supposed to learn it and then impart that wisdom to others...I may be forced to resign my title.

thanks...

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'm just curious what kind of occupation you have that installs a 996T in your company vehicle. That would be pretty nice. I've worked a lot of security from vehicles and I've dreamed of having a suite dash setup with a few scanners.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
It is daunting to say the least, when you read the words "forget everything you have ever learned about scanners" you know your in trouble. It takes a little time, but all in all it is similar to other Uniden models (780, 796D) it just goes about things in a different manner. I have purchased several newer scanners lately and even returned one because I didn't want to learn how to use it. I hate the fact that I cannot tune/program my 996T as quickly as the others and even left in sitting in the box for about 2 weeks after I got it because it was so intimidating. After several uses of the Uniden software I have somewhat learned my way around the radio. I am waiting my finale version of Butels software for this radio.

Mstrfxit12

These scanners (15, 396, 996, etc.) are completely different. The best advice imo is to download the free software and do the bulk of your programming with. It will show how it lays out and the different menu items requiring programming. Another bit of advice is to look at one of the pre-programmed systems in the software and that should help you get started. After you get it programmed via PC try to programm a couple by direct entry that way if you need to on the road you will be able to. They are a bit more difficult but not impossible... Chris

sprite1741

I had my apco-25 system going in less than hour after I took my scanner from the box. I was lost as well, but the manual got me going. After I downloaded the Uniden software , I was able to get to get the systems, and talkgroups assigned with quick keys and alpha tags easily. Doing programming from the scanner is not the best way. Once I got used to this proramming method, I don't miss channels and banks. You can upload the systems you program and change by themselves, just make sure you uncheck all systems except yours and and have write the selected system as the only command checked and it takes less than a minute to program. I left the factory systems in place and just add or change mine when needed and assigned 1 to 10 on the system quick key. I really like this scanner alot, very easy to use as soon as your used to it. Make sure you scan digital in ID:SEARCH, not ID:SCAN if you don't have programmed ID's. In SCAN the scanner will ignore any ID's not programmed, found that out by accident.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Freqed said:
It is daunting to say the least, when you read the words "forget everything you have ever learned about scanners" you know your in trouble. It takes a little time, but all in all it is similar to other Uniden models (780, 796D) it just goes about things in a different manner. I have purchased several newer scanners lately and even returned one because I didn't want to learn how to use it. I hate the fact that I cannot tune/program my 996T as quickly as the others and even left in sitting in the box for about 2 weeks after I got it because it was so intimidating. After several uses of the Uniden software I have somewhat learned my way around the radio. I am waiting my finale version of Butels software for this radio.

What Freqed said is true. You need to unlearn what you know about banks and channels. This is more like opening a new folder in your windows operating system and putting other folders inside those folders, only your using conventional or trunked, frequencies and talkgroups, and quck keys (numbers) for those folders.

If you read UPMan's "Scanner Programming: Man-Machine Interface", it may help you.
http://www.grove-ent.com/SCANNERPROGRAMMING.htm

trunker0205

Scannermaster offers a software it's suppose to be real ood to program the 996.Has anyone used it is called ARC996...How long will it take me to program this thing using the software.I have a BC-780XLT and I programmed it without a PC and what a time consuming pain..Thanks

N1508J

Here is more advice from a computer hater and a vaccume tube era tech! Read and do at the same time! But FIRST, get a sheet of paper and write down what you THINK you want to do. Then use the book and do what you wrote down and see if it works. The Uniden software aint bad once I got use to it after a few screw ups. Now, after I see what's going on, I can use the front panel to do some programming. Like the other guys said, forget what you knew about convential scanners!

scanjunkie

I thought the Uniden's were complicated at first too...I don't even own one but I feel I could really handle one if I got one. I have done a lot of research on them and studied the manuals, checked out the posts, etc. It's like anything new, it's scary at first, but if you take your time to learn it, you will end up really enjoying it. I'm hoping Sanata will bring me a 996!! I've really been good this year!! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.