BC996T scan problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raycefrk

Ok please help me I am lost here. I have my BC996T Firmware Version 3.1 setup for the Grand Prairie, TX live feed and here lately it has been doing something that I can not figure out. I will get a message that all they are hearing is static like it might be stuck on a control channel. When I get to where I can check it, it appears to be scanning but when I turn up the volume I hear what comes across on the live feed. Nothing but static. All I have to do is hit the scan button and it fixes it, for a little while then it will do it again. This is been happening for about three weeks now and I have know idea how to solve this issue. Please help me figure this out, all my Grand Prairie scanner junkies are going crazy because this feed keeps messing up. One of which is my sister in-law and she will call my wife and tell her to have go fix it.

Thanks
Scott Bledsoe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's almost impossible to diagnose this for sure without seeing a file with your programming; at first blush I would say a system isn't set up for trunking properly or you're running into an encrypted talkgroup, but those are purely shots in the dark and may be completely off in warp space somewhere....you might also have a case where you aren't hearing the system very well.

Let's start with on what system this is happening. Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title and float your mouse over Database. Use the pulldowns to get to the state, county and then the trunk system listing. Let's see the URL...

What software did you use for programming? What are you using for an antenna and feedline? best regards...Mike

Last edited:

Raycefrk

It's almost impossible to diagnose this for sure without seeing a file with your programming; at first blush I would say a system isn't set up for trunking properly or you're running into an encrypted talkgroup, but those are purely shots in the dark and may be completely off in warp space somewhere....you might also have a case where you aren't hearing the system very well.

Let's start with on what system this is happening. Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title and float your mouse over Database. Use the pulldowns to get to the state, county and then the trunk system listing. Let's see the URL...

What software did you use for programming? What are you using for an antenna and feedline? best regards...Mike

Ok as far as me having the file, I used to have it on my pc but I have since got a different pc. No i did not think to keep the file. I guess I could hook it back up and upload them on this pc. Usually when it picks up an encrypted hit it will show the freq and stop scanning and flashing ENC in the beside the freq #. I dont know but once it gets on what ever it is, it stays there until I hit the scan button again or restart the scanner itself.

I don't remember what program I used because I did this about 2-1/2 years ago. It has been fine most of the the time with a few glitches here and there, but here lately it has been two or three times a day.

Thanks for the reply. If I find the files or re-upload them to my pc I can share them with you. It almost make me think it might be drifting or something.

Raycefrk

I feel real dumb right now. but my scanner is a BCD996T The system I monitor is Grand Prairie, TX in Dallas county. It has been working fine and as far as I know nothing has changed. Except for the annoying interuption that keeps happening. Seems worse today for some reason. Anyway thanks for any help or suggestions.

W6KRU

I have one idea for something you can check. Do you have the end code set for that system? Locally we had a stuck repeater on a system and it suddenly caused symptoms similar to yours. Without the end code, the scanner locked onto the stuck repeater after the transmission was over.

See this link.

Last edited:

Raycefrk

I have one idea for something you can check. Do you have the end code set for that system? Locally we had a stuck repeater on a system and it suddenly caused symptoms similar to yours. Without the end code, the scanner locked onto the stuck repeater after the transmission was over.

See this link.

I think that was it. Seems to be working now. The end code was set to ignore. Thanks you both for the input.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If that was it, then your squelch is also set too low. Tune to an unused frequency (HOLD, 155.000, HOLD should work) then adjust squelch so that the audio path closes.

Raycefrk

If that was it, then your squelch is also set too low. Tune to an unused frequency (HOLD, 155.000, HOLD should work) then adjust squelch so that the audio path closes.

Paul I just tried this and when I adjust the squelch nothing happens. I have the volume crank up to 26 and have adjusted the squelch from 0-19 and nothing. That don't seam right. It is still catching something some how and when it does it appears to be scanning (not locked in on any frequency) but if I turn it off and back on or just push the scan button it will work just fine for a little while and the fun starts all over. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Raycefrk

Do you possibly have Close Call on or a Search Bank in the scanlist?
Close call appears to be turned off and I do not show any search bank within the scanlist. I might just try to clear the scanner completely this weekend and just re-program it and see if that helps. I was trying to find an easy fix. I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions. I will let ya'll know if this fixes my issue. If not maybe I can send it in for service, I have had it for a while and it must have a million hours on it already.

Scott

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I picked 155.000 at random...it is possible there is some signal there. Try another frequency known to be unused (145.67 would work...it is an amateur radio simplex frequency unlikely to have traffic on it).

Raycefrk

I picked 155.000 at random...it is possible there is some signal there. Try another frequency known to be unused (145.67 would work...it is an amateur radio simplex frequency unlikely to have traffic on it).

Something worked. I just redid everything and adjusted the squelch like you said and it appears to be working now. Thanks for everybody's input. I was lost.

The Grand Prairie, TX live feed is back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.