BC996XT Programing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfp237

I will be buying a BC996 in the near future. The last time I had a scanner was long before programming became a big issue. I really don't know how much time it takes to do a decent job. I will take the time to learn, but for now I intend to have the seller program the unit out of the box. Either way, my final cost is about the same, but I am concerned the manual programing won't be as complete as the computer programming. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether a seller would/could do as thorogh a job mannually programming it?

yabber

Do you know if the seller will be actually programming it manually? My local radio shop programs scanners all the time - but they do everything with the computer. It's easy for them because they can just click a few buttons and program 1,000 frequencies in a matter if minutes. It could take a day+ otherwise.

Unless the seller said there were doing everything by hand, I would assume they will be using a computer.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another issue to consider is if you find you want to change the programming. It's then time to haul the radio back to the shop again, they charge you another whatever amount, and you're without the scanner for yet another day or two.

To me, it's far better for you to learn how to program your scanner - even if you just do it by PC, rather than manually, which is a real bear - then to pay someone (possibly more than once) to do it. We have several references in our wiki, and while there isn't a XT 'Easier to Read' manual (yet), the 996T Easier to Read manual is a good way to get started. From there, it's a short logical jump to the XT model.

Go up to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki the select FAQs Click on the Uniden DMA FAQ from the list. At the bottom of that article are the links to the Easier to Read manual. The FAQ is pretty good, too...73 Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any thoughts about whether a seller would/could do as thorogh a job mannually programming it?

The end result between manual programming, and computer programming is the same. Computer programming is just easier and faster.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Tedious

I will be buying a BC996 in the near future. The last time I had a scanner was long before programming became a big issue. I really don't know how much time it takes to do a decent job. I will take the time to learn, but for now I intend to have the seller program the unit out of the box. Either way, my final cost is about the same, but I am concerned the manual programing won't be as complete as the computer programming. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether a seller would/could do as thorogh a job mannually programming it?

I have a 996T and a 996XT and the thought of the long and tedious process of programming them manually just sucks. If nothing else I would use the FREE and completely workable FREESCAN. I have ARC 996, ARC XT, FREESCAN, and PROSCAN and use them all for this or that. I doubt if the retailer does it manually.

KC9LVX

rfp237

Thanks for the info. For the reasons ka3jjz mentioned, I think I am going to try to program it myself. I will look at FREESCAN, but can anyone offer an opinion on the software that is the easiest for a novice to use (without regard to cost)?

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the correct key combination to bring up version number on the BC996XT ???

stevem03247

freescan for 996xt

I have cable now and software on computer due i just load the import from rr to start just not sure hope someone can help thanx Steve..

Status
Not open for further replies.