BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BC_VUP3 Problems

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a 996P2 to go along with my 325P2. The 996P2 needs a firmware upgrade (1.10.01) so I fired up the BC_VUP3 upgrade tool but the 996P2 (and my 325 would not connect). The tool loads fine and it appears to find the port (sometimes) but shows that it can't connect 1/4 way through the process. I've used the BC_VUP3 tool in the past with no problems upgrading so it seems to be a recent issue with Uniden. I went into the Uniden info page https://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD325P2 to grab the driver and the page says directory not found. I went into the device manager to see if I still had the cable driver and its not listed. I'd like to upgrade to DMR/and NXDEN in the future but will the upgrade be needed to upgrade to DMR/NXDEN? I know my 3 computers connect with Proscan and Freescan because I was able to upload my programming to the scanners with no COMPort or connection issues with that process. I've adjusted baud rates, deleted and reloaded the tool etc with no luck. Thanks in advance for any solutions

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have HughesNet or T-Mobile as your internet service provider? HughesNet has high latency and T-Mobile blocks the FTP port.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
It could be your internet provider. You might have to go into the router and drop the security settings until to update the scanner.
I use Spectrum. I had Spectrum and Comcast and used the tool before with no issues. I was just a little suspicious when the Uniden page resulted in Directory Not Found. I will recheck everything once I get home and use the driver that is provided in my Post. Thanks Much for the replies and I'll update later with the results

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
So, I D/L the drivers, fired up the tool, plugged in the USB cable and it still won't connect. Tried my 2 other computers still same result, I looked over my WIFI and tried and lower security setting still no luck. Messed around with VPN and no difference on or off. I noticed that when I plug un my USB cable the 996p2 doesn't show up in my device manager. It expands when I plug it in but no 996P2 in my other devices folder or anywhere for that matter. I get the same results from my 325p2. Like I said, my 996/325 find the com ports and uploads my programming fine but this BC_VUP3 seems to be my culprt. I've done this many other times on this computer but this time no joy

Attachments

• 20230727_170802.jpg
    20230727_170802.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230727_170905.jpg
    20230727_170905.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230727_172039.jpg
    20230727_172039.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 22

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
So, I D/L the drivers, fired up the tool, plugged in the USB cable and it still won't connect. Tried my 2 other computers still same result, I looked over my WIFI and tried and lower security setting still no luck. Messed around with VPN and no difference on or off. I noticed that when I plug un my USB cable the 996p2 doesn't show up in my device manager. It expands when I plug it in but no 996P2 in my other devices folder or anywhere for that matter. I get the same results from my 325p2. Like I said, my 996/325 find the com ports and uploads my programming fine but this BC_VUP3 seems to be my culprt. I've done this many other times on this computer but this time no joy
I see "Uniden Serial Port" as com port 5. Have you chosen com port 5 in the program?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I see "Uniden Serial Port" as com port 5. Have you chosen com port 5 in the program?
Looks like he clicked autodetect... That can be a hit or miss sometimes...
Looks like the pull down arrow is active though... Wonder if the Uniden port will show up to select it...

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have manually selected the Uniden Serial Port also and it does the same thing. At this point I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do this and is getting the same results. I'd send the Scanner back but my 325P2 which already has the upgrade does the same thing with not connecting to the BC_VUP3 tool and I've had that for a couple years. Thanks for the help- I'll keep trying

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have manually selected the Uniden Serial Port also and it does the same thing. At this point I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do this and is getting the same results. I'd send the Scanner back but my 325P2 which already has the upgrade does the same thing with not connecting to the BC_VUP3 tool and I've had that for a couple years. Thanks for the help- I'll keep trying
I'd try hooking one of the three computers up with an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on your router and turn off its wireless adapter. Wireless can cause random high latency and packet loss issues, especially with Uniden's picky FTP server.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

I would power cycle the scanner. Also make sure ProScan and Freescan are not running as they may be accessing the comm. port, preventing BC_VUP3 from using the same comm. port.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
I'd try hooking one of the three computers up with an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on your router and turn off its wireless adapter. Wireless can cause random high latency and packet loss issues, especially with Uniden's picky FTP server.
I'm leaning towards this direction actually. If it doesn't work I may take the scanner to a friends house nearby that doesn't use Spectrum for the upgrade and try that. I also use Sentinel for my SDS100 and when I do the database upgrade, I have to turn on my VPN for it to work with Spectrum. When I manually select the port on the 996p2 it starts the process like its going to complete then stops about 1/4 the way thru like someone just unplugged my router. (like something is blocking the process) I see the the latest firmware (1.10.02) wasn't really a big upgrade so its not critical because 1.10.01 is working just fine- Thanks

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I just got the Upgrade to take (finally) I took ProScan's suggestion and power cycled the scanner, cold booted my computer and made sure nothing else was sharing com port 15 but I also shut off my Norton Firewall this time and it worked. Thanks everyone for your help suggestions. I'm all set!