bcd 396 t

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlittle100

anyone have a problem with ac charger ? ac adapter is fine putting out what it is supposed to, if you plug it in to the scanner it does not power up . works great on batteries.

captclint

Mentor
anyone have a problem with ac charger ? ac adapter is fine putting out what it is supposed to, if you plug it in to the scanner it does not power up . works great on batteries.
You are much better off with a separate charger for the batteries. Uniden charging circuit is not the best thing for your batteries.

slicerwizard

ac adapter is fine putting out what it is supposed to, if you plug it in to the scanner it does not power up . works great on batteries.
Sounds like the reverse polarity protection diode is shorted.

You are much better off with a separate charger for the batteries. Uniden charging circuit is not the best thing for your batteries.
Where did he say he was trying to charge batteries?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This usually happens when you use the wrong power adapter.

My laptop and Uniden adapters look almost identical, so a couple times I've accidentally plugged the laptop one into the 396T. It will either say "Illegal Voltage" when you try to use the right adapter, or not work at all, and runs fine only on batteries.

You will have to send your scanner to Uniden Repair. You will be down without your scanner for a month or less, but it's a flat rate repair service and it's done right.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I just sent mine back because of exactly this problem. I had a mobile charger that the regulator quit and put 12v to the scanner power connector. Ever since this happened the scanner will not power form a wall wart or mobile charger, but it does power from batteries. I sent it to Uniden and it had 2 blown resistors, a blown capacitor and inductor, all in the power circuit. It cost me the flat rate of $50.00 to get it fixed.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Mine was one of the first units shipped by Uniden back in either 2004 or 2005. It had been working fine in my truck until a last month when the regulator in the mobile power cord quit. My only complaint until this happened with the radio was that charging the batteries through the radio did a very poor job, It would only last me maybe about an hour if I charged them through the radio. In order to get several hours of use from a set of batteries I had to take them out and charge them in a separate charger. Still I would only get a few hours of use from a charge. I have never been really happy with the battery life performance of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.