BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD 396T BCD 496 HP problem

clutchdisk

BCD 396T has way better reception then the BCD 436HP. This has been a problem for several years. All updates have been on both including encryption with other paid additions from Uniden. Side by side same antennas spaced 3 foot separation and the old 396T picks up various frequencies from air to ground. The 436 simply for the most part sits like a stone and very infrequently picks up a station. Not sure what is going on with the 436HP it was sent back a couple of years ado for the clock issue if I recall.

clutchdisk

Take the encryption was pro voice, upgrade dmr/motoTrbo,upgrade NXDN. I do have antenuation on. Will turn it off. I have the exact antenna’s on both. Rubber antenna’s oem. I did screw up on the encryption was thinking incorrectly for sure. Sorry about that. Squelch settings I did not check that they are the same. So far I see to areas squelch and attenuation was not the same. Big oversight on my behalf. Probably have a few more settings I screwed up. Panic set in. Thank you all. Have to think and check myself.

wtp

unless the radio is on fire, there is no need for panic...
and if you ever had an electronics class, even when made by the millions, every single part is a little different.
even the gold stripe for resistors was a 5% tolerance or difference...

clutchdisk

Yup, I did panic. Big mental block. Should have just stepped back, take a breath and look at the settings. Big dumb brain cramp. I did not look for a logical reason. Just wow bcd 396t is operating without a hitch and did not properly check the 436. Thanx for everyone’s reply. Sure do feel like a horses butt.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
@clutchdisk : The BCD436HP is notoriously deaf on anything analog below 450MHz.

I can reassure you that I’ve seen the same thing here : any other scanner I have or had is waaaayyyyy much better than the 436 on analog.

So much so that I don’t rely on / resort to the 436 for use as a portable radio I can bring with me everywhere.
At home it stays connected to an outside antenna in my ham radio shack, and mobile for long travels it gets connected to an outside mobile antenna. Never used as a « real » portable as it is useless for me (still plenty of analog to listen to, over here).

I use either the Whistler WS1080 or the Uniden BCD325P2 (and plenty of AAs in my pockets!) for everyday-everywhere around town carry radio.