BCD 396T firmware updater wont recognize serial ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Did you download and install the drivers for the USB-1 cable before plugging the cable in? If you plugged the cable in without installing the drivers, then you have to use the Windows Device Manager to remove any that might have been installed when the cable was detected as they may not be correct.

If you are using Windows 8.x on the laptop, you need to be sure the chipset in the USB-1 is HXD, versus HXA. The older USB-1 cables had the HXA chipset that doesn't agree with Windows 8.x

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Does the computer "ker-chunk" when you plug in the cable? If not, then there might be a problem with either the cable or your PC's USB port (assuming, of course, that volume is turned up). If there is a ker-chunk, then look in the device manager and see what appears/disappears when you plug/unplug the cable and report back.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any ideas
Did you buy a true USB-1 cable, from a recognized dealer, such as ScannerMaster, HRO, The Ham Station, etc, or one off of eBay. Several other members have bought, what they thought, were USB-1 cables from an eBay seller, but got only a USB cable, not one with the necessary circuitry to function as a USB to Virtual Serial Port (as the 'real' cable does).

Viper652

Moderated
Does the computer "ker-chunk" when you plug in the cable? If not, then there might be a problem with either the cable or your PC's USB port (assuming, of course, that volume is turned up). If there is a ker-chunk, then look in the device manager and see what appears/disappears when you plug/unplug the cable and report back.

No there isnt

Viper652

Moderated
Did you buy a true USB-1 cable, from a recognized dealer, such as ScannerMaster, HRO, The Ham Station, etc, or one off of eBay. Several other members have bought, what they thought, were USB-1 cables from an eBay seller, but got only a USB cable, not one with the necessary circuitry to function as a USB to Virtual Serial Port (as the 'real' cable does).

yes

Viper652

Moderated
I just got a new cable from Uniden and it works. But now after the first step of updating the firmware it says flash rom test error.

Viper652

Moderated
I tried registering the scanner but Uniden hasnt sent me a password yet. Its been 5 days.

Is there anyway I can get around this flash rom test error? Really frustrating how it updated the first step then stopped. Now I cant even use my scanner.

Viper652

Moderated
Uniden is really making me lose faith in their product. I try to register the scanner 2 weeks ago and have still not received a password.

I still cant get anybody on tech support either. My 380.00 scanner is totally unusable.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've set your password to the phone number you used when registering (including hyphens).

Status
Not open for further replies.