BCD 396T will not charge batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jknappen

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I have a BCD396T handheld that will simply not charge the batteries. I bought new energizer rechargeable batterys that are recommended for use with this scanner. I am using the ac adapter that came with it so it is a uniden charger, it works fine if I use regular non-rechargeable batteries. I have checked to see if the switch was moved to the ni-mh for recharging and it is. I do not smell anything that smells like it has burnt in the scanner. so I am kinda dumbfounded by this. anyone have any recommendations?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a mini switch in the battery compartment, if memory serves, that turns off the charging. I'll bet that's what you have here.

However, that's really not the issue. You should NEVER EVER recharge anything in these scanners. There's no current or thermal limiting in the charging circuit (a very poor design, Uniden). In other words if you leave the batteries in charging for too long, there's a chance of the batteries leaking acid or even causing a file in extreme cases.

There are many good battery chargers on the market (Maha sells some of the best, but there are others). Do some homework on this subject - use the search functions to read the various threads on this topic.

Mike

wtp

even if..

everything works fine, i figure heat is the death of everything so...
i use a maha charger, because it will do independent charging of cells.
unlike some of the old chargers that have to have pairs.
my 396t works fine by just charging them and running all day on batteries.
my gf has a 396xt and set the radio to alkaline and uses the ac adapter all the time.
if i know we are going out, i just charge them.
so the answer is don't worry about the radio, just get a good charger.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Might be your batteries are shot. After awhile they just cant take a charge and you'll have to go with new set. If your still using the originals that came with the radio - 100% they are shot, those batteries came with the 396T were garbage, mine lasted six months or so.

I have bought energizer rechargeables at local stores mainly because I found em sale, Duracell would be good too. Dont go with a cheap non name brand in your expensive radio.

On here many swear by the Sony Eneloops brand.
I did find at Target http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=rechargeable&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_rechargeable

Try to get say higher MAH ratings ones, they'll last longer between charges.
Just on ALL radios there's no circuitry that senses the batteries are done charging on voltage, current. Even if the batteries are at 100%, plug in the power adapter and it starts a 14 hour charge timer.
Say after 14 hours, its done, unplug it from the wall adapter and plug back in, it starts the 14 hour timer yet again! Hard on batteries and they get warm.
The later version, 396XT you can set how many hours to charge. I set that setting at 2 or 3 usually.
I have charged mine for years no problems, just on your 396T be aware that unplug-plug back in will start that 14 hour timer again.

Side note:
I hope this thread isn't derailed too much by the charging in-out of the radio. The above comments by the others are correct though. Just a LOT of forums threads about charging batteries in-out of the radios on here and we have beat that to death.

jknappen

Premium Subscriber
nope using new energizer rechargeable batteries 1.2v 2300mah nimh batteries. I have not used the originals in quite some time. I have moved the switch in the back to ni-mh when using rechargeables and to alkaline when using rechargeables. alkalines work just fine its the rechargeables I'm having an issue with.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Oh ok well I suppose could it be your power wall adapter?
Push down on the volume knob and see what the voltage is in the upper right display. Plug in the wall adapter and see if more than likely the voltage goes up.
Also you can apply the same principal if you have a car power adapter.

If you have a volt meter, check what the voltage is coming out on the power adapter. Be careful not to short the probes together with the adapter plugged in!
If it shows 6 volts DC then its normal. Granted thats not under load though.

jknappen

Premium Subscriber
gotcha thanks i will do that and report back on this tomorrow.

jknappen

Premium Subscriber
Ok I checked the voltage by pushing in the volume button it reads 4.71 in the upper right corner of the screen. The scanner works just fine as long as it's plugged in, or on regular alkaline batteries, while switched into alkaline.

Status
Not open for further replies.