BCD 396XT MAC Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanningisfun

What is everyone doing to program their scanner with a MAC?

You can use WINE to open windows applications on the mac and link the scanner to a com port through terminal, but I recommend that you get a copy of Windows and use Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware.

Wine is a big pain to get but if you want to use it, here are the directions. Keep in mind that you will have to create a virtual link between your serial adapter and a com port as I said above. Sometimes it won't work.

Link on Instructions for Wine:

Installing Wine on Mac OS X

As I said, I have both WINE and Windows and I would recommend that you use Windows to program your scanner.

Jacob

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I can't agree more with "scanningisfun" on the use of dual boot on the MAC. Even though for me it's sacrilegious to put a microsoft product on my MAC, if you have no other choice than you can use it to program you 396 with the MAC. I have a Macbook Pro that I dual boot with windows xp and use a USB to serial converter by Belkin to connect to my 796 and it even works with my AOR 8600MKII. I also would recommend that you get a standard 2 button mouse to use on the windows side because windows doesn't play real nice with the single button mouse or touchpad on the MACs. I tried Wine and it did not play really nice with the Butel programming software.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
I recently got back into radios, including HF. I purchased several radios, and have had Macs for many years. I went out bought a netbook, which works fantastic, and can run all my radio software. I use it for my 396xt and 996T with butel. and also run my software for my yaesu ft 897D, 857D.
For logging with these radios I do use my Mac with macdxlogger. So the netbook works well its rather inexpensive..

George

scanningisfun

I'm not a Mac person but this is another possible solution...

BCProgTool.tcl TCL/TK Tool

best regards..Mike

This program is useless. It is very cluttered and does not work well at all. I couldn't get it to load my 396XT even when telling it the location of the serial adapter. It locks up a lot and is a pain to get off the computer when you realize you don't want to use it. It runs with like four different windows open and comes with a script that is made to close the program when it locks up.

Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.