BCD 396XT - not hearing much

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickman1313

Premium Subscriber
I'll start by saying I'm a super newb to this. Was trying to get into this a while back, but life got in the way and this took a backseat.

anyway... I need to update the programming of my scanner, hasnt been updated in over a year and I'm sure some things have changed, unfortunately, I lost my comm cable and had to order a new one, should be here next week.

in the meantime, I am trying to scan for stuff and just not having any luck. I am wondering if there is some type of setting that may increase the amount of traffic I hear. I would assume that I would at least hear something through close call, or cb, or just random luck but 9/10 I just dont hear anything at all.

Which brings me to my next question... with these handheld scanners, things have to be pretty close to hear them right? Like say I "search for service" on CB band, if i picked something up there, wouldnt it get picked up on close call anyway?

I just want to listen to something, if i do the close call only, the bar above the "2" looks pretty strong, but I dont hear anything.

chickman1313

Premium Subscriber
theoretically, even if not programmed right, I should be able to find some sort of broadcasts just searching for service right?

JamesO

Start with the Weather Channels but check the Squelch, often people have this set too high.

I have 2 - 396XT and they are quite sensitive, I pick up PLENTY even in the house with mine.

Programming can be a problem, but test with a Weather Channel first.

chickman1313

Premium Subscriber
squelch is set to 2, can get weather and fm

but i just have nothing on really any other bands, from time to time i get stuff from north mississippi which is a couple hundred miles from me, which is strange. This was programmed in last time i programmed it.

will re program tonight and see whats up, maybe there just isnt any activity around me. I'm 25 miles from new orleans, and its all lake between me and there, so was thinking I would be able to get NOPD or something, but I guess not...

JamesO

I was in New Orleans this past weekend and took my HP-1 with me.

Was monitoring the LWIN network which is statewide. Lots of activity.

I was in NOLA proper and did not spend too much time trying to monitor activity outside of NOLA, but I was monitoring Fire, PD, Schools and such.

Make sure you check this link out, I think this is where you will find a lot of activity -

Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies

The trick is finding the transmit site(s) close to you and make sure you program these in. It is a large statewide system and depending on how it is configured you may only hear Counties/Parishes close to you. You may also need to "tweak" your control channels/sites a bit?

In addition to local FD & PD, check out Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries and Marine traffic. There appears to also be a Lake Ponchatrain Operations PD talk group as well.

Also make sure your scanner firmware is up to date as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.