bcd 396xt won't pick up anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodard

Premium Subscriber
i cant get this scanner to pick up anything. i import and then download it to the scanner. it shows that it downloaded but it i cant get anything to come out of it

JamesO

These scanners have a steep learning curve and you need to make sure the scanner can monitor the system(s) you are programming. Some newer systems cannot be picked up by this scanner.

Quick and easy test, press Hold, press Function, press and hold the "0" button. This puts the scanner in Weather Scan. See if you can pick up a NOAA Weather channel just to make sure the radio receives and the volume is high enough.

Check squelch level as well, usually run my radios at 2. Press Function and then Volume knob down, turn Volume knob to adjust squelch. Scanner will time out of Squelch mode after about 7 seconds.

captclint

Mentor
i did the test and the weather comes up perfect.
It would help to know what systems you have downloaded. If Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) is one of them, you have to select the site closet to you, and I would set it and any other system to IDsearch 1st to see if you receive anything. Most of your agencies are on this system, so if you downloaded some of the old VHF/UHF freq's you will not hear anything.

You should also read up on http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_FAQ and http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunked_Radio_Systems

Last edited:

Woodard

Premium Subscriber
it does work thanks captclint knowing what system to use helped i have another question. sometime when a freq comes up it sounds like it wants to come in but it don't it also sounds like a robot trying to talk what is causes of this

Yaris07

BCD 396xt

I have this scanner model from the 1st day it came out. These people here are the ones who got me up to speed. One thing is for sure you have to do much research for sure. This scanner is very good. Have fun learning. Bartholomew county here..

captclint

Mentor
it does work thanks captclint knowing what system to use helped i have another question. sometime when a freq comes up it sounds like it wants to come in but it don't it also sounds like a robot trying to talk what is causes of this
One explanation is that the agency is using inversion scrambling. Very few agencies use this ancient encryption, so it is probably something else.

Woodard

Premium Subscriber
it sounds like it could be a digital thing. how do i pick up a digital signal

Woodard

Premium Subscriber
i'm using okwin / motorola and a trunked system. when import a conventional system and download it to the scanner it doesn't send any voice but it shows that it has been downloaded. the white noise (like when the squelch is turned down to low) its not that kind of sound. it sounds like a transmission starts to come in and then it goes away real quick can

Status
Not open for further replies.