bcd 436/ 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug548

Just did a major upgrade. Bought both scanners. I have the software installed and did the updates. My question is programing. I have my fav lists ready to go. Before I upload them it wants me to clear all user data. Wont this erase all the stuff on the SD card. My real question is, Will the database still be on the scanner so I can do the zip code thing if I need to. can I do a factory reset on the scanner. What if the SD card needs to be replaced someday. What if I have a disc failure, can I reinstall the software to the PC from the scanner again. Should I buy a new SD card and put the factory one away for safe keeping. Just how fragile is this thing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just did a major upgrade. Bought both scanners. I have the software installed and did the updates. My question is programing. I have my fav lists ready to go. Before I upload them it wants me to clear all user data. Wont this erase all the stuff on the SD card. My real question is, Will the database still be on the scanner so I can do the zip code thing if I need to. can I do a factory reset on the scanner. What if the SD card needs to be replaced someday. What if I have a disc failure, can I reinstall the software to the PC from the scanner again. Should I buy a new SD card and put the factory one away for safe keeping. Just how fragile is this thing.
If you just received the scanners, the database on the card is likely well out of date, so the "Clear User Data" will erase the card and then load the database from Sentinel. Just be sure you do a database update in Sentinel first, so that you have the latest files.

Then once you upload your Favorites list to the scanner, you'll be ready to go.

Be sure that you have your desired service types enabled, and have the Favorites lists you want to load set to Download in your Profile. You can also use the profile to set which list(s) the scanner will use by default, even though you may have others that you are not currently monitoring. If you are also using location control, be sure that your profile reflects your correct location.

Regardless of whether you 'save' the original card (with probably an outdated database), or go ahead & clear user data and load your lists, it's still a good idea to have an extra card on hand. Many of the issues that people post about are the result of corrupted data on the SD card, so having a good spare to use is a good first step in case of an error.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The "Clear User Data" exercise is probably the closest thing you got to a "Factory Reset". That's wiping the storage/memory clear and starting afresh.

It's no "biggie" to erase the memory which would include Favorites Lists and the full database. As Hiegtx mentioned, you'll want to update the full database periodically and if you are like many users, Favorites Lists are never "perfect" so they get polished regularly.

SD cards like car tires. They may last a while, but eventually they wear out. Every so often there is a "road hazard", so having a spare is a good thing. Fortunately SD cards are much cheaper.

Just to mention in passing, you can use the same Profile and Favorites Lists in both scanners. That's a plus so they'll "work" the same way, if that is something that interests you. The only strange thing you'll see is the Opening Message on power up - your 436 may show up as "536" if your 536 is the profile you use.

marksmith

Once you update database and do all of the stuff advised above, what I would suggest is copying all the stuff on the card to a folder on your PC. Makes it easy to create a new card in the future, and all you will need to do is rewrite your latest stuff from Sentinel.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.