BCD 436 USB Port Reliability ? Software ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Thinking of getting the new BCD 436, and was wondering about software for it other than the Sentinel that
comes with it.

So, I looked at the BuTel site, and they say:

'Release info: because of issues with the reliability of USB/serial port on the 436/536 scanners we have decided to delay the release of the software. Any updates will be posted here. We are accepting pre-orders again.'

Questions:

a. Is there a problem with the USB Port on the 436 ?
Would hate to have to return it after a few months or so.

b. The Freescan site does not list the 436 as being supported.
Will Freescan work (well) with the 436 ?

c. Any other software packages for it ?
Do most of you folks use Sentinel ? Thinking of switching to BuTel's when avail. ? Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thinking of getting the new BCD 436, and was wondering about software for it other than the Sentinel that
comes with it.

So, I looked at the BuTel site, and they say:

'Release info: because of issues with the reliability of USB/serial port on the 436/536 scanners we have decided to delay the release of the software. Any updates will be posted here. We are accepting pre-orders again.'

Questions:

a. Is there a problem with the USB Port on the 436 ?
Would hate to have to return it after a few months or so.

b. The Freescan site does not list the 436 as being supported.
Will Freescan work (well) with the 436 ?

c. Any other software packages for it ?
Do most of you folks use Sentinel ? Thinking of switching to BuTel's when avail. ? Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

a. I have had my 436 since they first came out and it runs almost 24/7 and I have not had any problems with the USB ports switching from Serial to Mass Storage or vice versa.

b. Freescan does not support the x36 radios and the author said it was unlikely that he would support the x36 radios, but he did not say NO.

c. Other than Sentinel I think Butel and ProScan are the only two that I know of that are in development to support the x36 radios, but that does not mean there are not more programs in development. They will provide a lot of additional capabilities over Sentinel but you will still need Sentinel more than likely for Firmware & database updates.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm on the 436 sometimes you have to restart the scanner to get serial mode working. But once it is working it works well and does not disconnect.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm on the 436 sometimes you have to restart the scanner to get serial mode working. But once it is working it works well and does not disconnect.

I had this happen for the first time today, but I had unplugged and plugged in the USB cable twice to move the 436 twice into other rooms and back without turning it off at any time. It still seemed to scan and receive just fine.

However, when I tried to use the latest version of your program it told me I needed to restart the scanner and try again. I did so and then your program worked just fine.

I suspect when we unplug the 436 while it still running it switches to batteries and then back to USB power when plugged back into the USB power but the serial mode is now not 100% but this is not shown by just scanning.

I think Butel posted today on RR that they have put a hold any further development of their ARC software for both the 536 & 436 until this instability of the serial mode is addressed.

Have you had other situations where the 436 serial mode failed to be 100% other than the one I mentioned?

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
I think Butel posted today on RR that they have put a hold any further development of their ARC software for both the 536 & 436 until this instability of the serial mode is addressed.

No we have not stopped development of ARC536. The issues with the serial port delayed the release of a public demo version.

Gommert
Butel Software

RF23

Premium Subscriber
No we have not stopped development of ARC536. The issues with the serial port delayed the release of a public demo version.

Gommert
Butel Software

Sorry Gommert that I got that wrong!

But I am happy to hear you are still working on it for as in the past I will be one of the people buying your excellent software.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No issues with USB continuity here on either of the x36 models (now X 2).

I'm using Windows Vista and Windows 8.1. I've also tested it on XP with no issues.

In all cases I am able to connect as a logical drive with access to the micro SD and as serial port connection to Sentinel and ARC536 Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.