BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD-436HP DMR monitor Cap +/Tier 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

I have searched and cannot find a straight answer to this question. Can the BCD-436HP monitor and receive a CAP + or DMR Tier 3 system? This would be regardless of RAS or not activated on the system?

Thanks in advance.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes it does. I have noticed that voice tracking with cap+ is sometimes not great, but it certainly works.
You need the DMR upgrade, obviously

Many of these issues are improper LCN order being submitted or a missing frequency. I have submitted corrections on a few locally.

Running Analyze usually helps.

ScubaJungle

Many of these issues are improper LCN order being submitted or a missing frequency. I have submitted corrections on a few locally.

Running Analyze usually helps.
This is definitely true, but many of the systems I have input completely manually from using DSDPlus. Its only an issue when a FL has more than 2 or 3 sites, sometimes it will not pick up the voice when I hear tx going on in DSDPlus

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This is definitely true, but many of the systems I have input completely manually from using DSDPlus. Its only an issue when a FL has more than 2 or 3 sites, sometimes it will not pick up the voice when I hear tx going on in DSDPlus

Uniden scanners check each site for activity and moves on. Now I understand why you're missing transmissions, your scanner is checking activity on one site while the talk group might only be active on the other site. I don't run DSDPlus so can't speak to that, but this is probably the issue. Other than that, running a single site Cap+ system works very well.

ScubaJungle

Uniden scanners check each site for activity and moves on. Now I understand why you're missing transmissions, your scanner is checking activity on one site while the talk group might only be active on the other site. I don't run DSDPlus so can't speak to that, but this is probably the issue. Other than that, running a single site Cap+ system works very well.
Yes, that is the issue. If I have say, 4 sites in one system (which is how the system is set up), it will scan through the sites and sometimes miss the one transmitting. If I site hold, no issues. The problem though is that it would be very cumbersome to have to put each site into its own FL, when theyre all part of the same company/system.
The best way I've found to mitigate this problem is to just limit the number of sites as much as possible. Other systems, like P25 and EDACS, or other DMR systems dont seem to have trouble with this

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is the issue. If I have say, 4 sites in one system (which is how the system is set up), it will scan through the sites and sometimes miss the one transmitting. If I site hold, no issues. The problem though is that it would be very cumbersome to have to put each site into its own FL, when theyre all part of the same company/system.
The best way I've found to mitigate this problem is to just limit the number of sites as much as possible. Other systems, like P25 and EDACS, or other DMR systems dont seem to have trouble with this

Does each site carry the same talk groups?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No, different TG's. The example Im referring to is a security company that has different locations around the region.

Got it...so talk group 100 can only be heard on Site 1 and talk group 400 can only be heard on Site-2 as an example. I was suggesting isolating to one site if possible, despite the number of sites in the database if talkgroups are being simulcast across all sites. If you do a site hold and ID search not all talkgroups will be heard?

ScubaJungle

Got it...so talk group 100 can only be heard on Site 1 and talk group 400 can only be heard on Site-2. I was suggesting isolating to one site if possible, despite the number of sites in the database if talkgroups are being simulcast across all sites. If you do a site hold and ID search not all talkgroups will be heard?
Yep, thats the issue. If they were broadcast to all sites it wouldnt make a difference, Id delete all but the closest, but the TGs are location dependant (TG 15 for location 1, on site 1, TG23 for location 7 on site 4, etc). Its not a big deal either way, I dont really listen to this system much anyway, and when I do I made a FL with the two closest sites which seems to help with the problem.
As for the OP, its definitely not an issue that would make or break buying a BCD436HP. Its definitely worth it, and if you did have any issues, you could easily break apart the sites. You may not even have this issue, as most cap+ systems dont have 5+ sites with independent TGs.

n9upc

Thanks to everyone's input and details on this all. The system I would be monitoring has multiple sites but I would only be listening to one site at a time. Also it has only two freqs so in essence four paths.

In passive monitoring with a DMR Tier II radio I cannot hear anything but see the following: one frequency on one TS is always Turing. Also one of the TS on the other frequency is always pulsing about every 30 to maybe 40 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.