bcd 436hp upgrades???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmchalmers

can anybody in northern michigan tell me if it worth adding the dmr provoice or nxdn upgrades for some reason i can't pick up state highway,us forest service an PIE&G power company

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what you mean by state highway, do you mean Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) or the state police? Either way both are on the statewide P25 trunking system, MPSCS. US Forest and PIE&G are also on MPSCS. Assuming everyone is actually on MPSCS you don't need NXDN, DMR, or Provoice.

dmchalmers

i am running close call an search with scan an have not picked up PIE&G nor the us forest service i have picked up alot of mich nat guard an some USAF air refueling

freqs

still need to know area a little bit better than northern Michigan we could help find those Freqs or System your looking for .County would help.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most public safety agencies in Michigan, especially at the state level, are on the MPSCS P25 system. You don't need any upgrades to hear P25. You aren't going to pick up anything with Close Call unless the signal source is within rock-throwing distance, so that's a waste of time for general frequency searching. Especially since MPSCS is already in the database.

dmchalmers

Most public safety agencies in Michigan, especially at the state level, are on the MPSCS P25 system. You don't need any upgrades to hear P25. You aren't going to pick up anything with Close Call unless the signal source is within rock-throwing distance, so that's a waste of time for general frequency searching. Especially since MPSCS is already in the database.
seems odd my close call has been locating usaf air refueling and
still need to know area a little bit better than northern Michigan we could help find those Freqs or System your looking for .County would help.
i'm located in north west corner of oscoda county east of camp grayling national guard base close call has been locking on air opps an a few nights locked on usaf air refueling did pick up alot of dam failure in gladwin county last summer. little to far away to uscg boats have picked up uscg helos
mi national guard aircraft opps so they must not be in the database

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Close Call doesn't care whether something is in the database. It doesn't even check the database when you get a hit. And it requires a very strong signal to activate, 20dB or more above the noise floor. It only takes about 5dB to break squelch, so using Close Call as your primary frequency search guarantees you will miss more than you will find.

dmchalmers

thanks for your reply i never said i'm using close call only i'm using data base with 50 mile range with close call on. found alot of mistakes with the data base things i've been monitoring for yrs analog. sentinel software is a joke!! just glad i have zip code feature. two local fire depts won't hit when paged with data base their within 5 miles of me but my analog hits boom first page same antenna. Bcd 436hp is great but your not computer savy sentinel SUCKS

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The newer the scanner, the more complicated it is. For that reason, Sentinel is also somewhat complicated.

There are other programs that might help you (except for downloading the database).

dmchalmers

The newer the scanner, the more complicated it is. For that reason, Sentinel is also somewhat complicated.

There are other programs that might help you (except for downloading the database).
thanks for the reply it is Not very usefull unless your computer savy I've been a scanner user since crystal days when i was 12 yrs old this is a big letdown i'm just glad i bought with the zip code feature but radio reference has some big flaws also. Two fd one i was a member of for 23 yrs as asst chief do not hit on. others screen data shows as local fd's but audio is from 4 counties away one radio reference guy says i need to lower range That had zero effect. my close call with scan is a help locates michigan national guard daily using bombing range at camp grayling so they are missing in data base also. when i bought this i didnt know there would be so many flaws. my two counties near me road commisions come up as marine channels 156.240 an 156.180 haven't picked up mdot in last yr of having this bcd436hp last summer i did hear an enjoy mdnr fire spotter planes an even water bomber planes on fires

Status
Not open for further replies.