BCD 536 custom search

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
The bcd 536hp i have will stop on the control chanell durning custom search but will not track the control chanell like the bcd 996p2,any thoughts on this.Thanks

Ubbe

You are probably searching and find a P25 control channel, that the scanner only needs in normal trunk scan to trunk track and jump to the voice channels. The 536 doesn't trunk track while in search mode that I know of, it only decodes and display the info from the control channel, and I wouldn't expect a 996 to do that either. But you say that the 996 can trunk track in search mode? It could be possible to do in firmware but it would probably defeat the purpose of what search are intended to be used for.

/Ubbe

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
yes ok thanks it is a feature the 996p2 has it will stop and show tgs if you have it on control only

Ubbe

yes ok thanks it is a feature the 996p2 has it will stop and show tgs if you have it on control only
The 536 does that as well. But you say that you cannot see any TG's being displayed while in search mode? Or the 996 actually trunk track and follow conversations that you can hear?

/Ubbe

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Yes the 996p2 does and can you tell me the steps for the 536,on the 996p2 you just go to NAC/code search

spacellamaman

GMB951: I haven't used a 536 or a 996 but....I had a BC346XT for a number of years and in the custom search you could choose a Control Channel Only option where if it hit a control channel it would start tracking the audio of that system, changing freqs as needed etc. is that what you are talking about?

if it is....then i think you may be outta luck. I have a BCD436HP and have yet managed to find a way to do the same thing. as a matter of fact last night i hit an unfamiliar digital freq in a custom search, no audio, and kept toggling between LNK and DAT, no NAC shown. to check on what it was using the 436, i had to create a new system and a new site, then after making sure the ID search function was enabled, on that new system, and it was in an active Faves group, i THEN went to the analyze function, chose System Status AND then finally was able to see what i had. that is the simplest way i have found so far, which defeats the whole purpose of using the function you describe with the 996, if i have interpreted your question correctly that is.

it is possible i have missed something on the 436 and/or that the 536 can do what you want it to, but as a user of two similar scanners, i don't think it can be done, at least in the way you would like.

Ubbe

The x36 series doesn't have control channel only monitoring as in some older scanners. It can only display the info, in detailed display mode, and not leave the found frequency in search and jump to totally different voice frequencies to monitor the audio.

/Ubbe

spacellamaman

appreciate you clarifying that. i always fear i have just missed something. while i appreciate the additional functions incorperated into newer models, i always wonder why some functions are dropped. some may be obsolete but others certainly are still useful. i find myself trying to do complicated work arounds with newer models that were very simply accomplished with older models, usually with disappointing results.

PS i noted in your equipment list "Optocom OS545 Scout " i tried googling it but didn't find any good results. since i don't know much for comparisons sake, how would you rate the optoelectronics gear with the TRX-1's Sweeper function? Longer range? Shorter? Faster sweep or more accurate etc?

Last edited:

Ubbe

how would you rate the optoelectronics gear with the TRX-1's Sweeper function?
Scout is a short range device, normally maybe up to 100 meters. I once where up on a hill and the Scout reacted to a frequency more than 20km away, that's 10 miles. But that happens maybe once in a lifetime. It's an instant reaction, it takes one second to catch a frequency. If the signal are weak where it just starts to react it can be up to one full channel step off in frequency. It seems to work good with sites that have several transmitters. It somehow can sort them out when monitoring from a moving car so that reflections and signal strenghts varies. Unidens CloseCall doesn't work at all in those situations.

Whistlers Sweeper are sweeping the frequency bands and when it detects a signal it switches to a smaller frequency range and does a search using the step size of the bandplan and it seems to have the attenutor on in that mode. It takes much longer to catch a frequency but it also has much longer range, it's more sensitive than both Scout and CloseCall.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.