bcd 796d

Status
Not open for further replies.

cberk01964

Just picked up a 796. What should I expect.
I did have a bct15, but exchanged for a digital unit. I also have a diamond base 130 antenna on the way. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Highpockets

Just picked up a 796. What should I expect.
I did have a bct15, but exchanged for a digital unit. I also have a diamond base 130 antenna on the way. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

It helps if everyone knows where you live. State, county, city and what you would like to listen to. What you can expect is a hobby that will give you hours of good listening!:)

cberk01964

I live outside of Gettysburg. The question on what to expect, I was refering to use, progamable ease, etc,etc.

Bottom line question-was purchasing the 796 one of the better choices of digital units?

Highpockets

I live outside of Gettysburg. The question on what to expect, I was refering to use, progamable ease, etc,etc.

Bottom line question-was purchasing the 796 one of the better choices of digital units?

The 796 is a nice scanner, doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the newer models, but it will get the job done. The best way to program the 796 is with software, I like arc250, there are others, in the wiki section here, there is allot of info, groups, software, etc. I'll post the link below. You'll need the programing cable if you decide to go with software. You may want to check with the Uniden site and make sure you have the lastest firmware.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC796D

cberk01964

I also need some info on antenna fitting adapters. My cable has male "N" fittings on both ends. I need an adapter to fit the pl-259 on the antenne side (diamond dicone) and a adapter for bnc to the scanner side. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Or would it be best to install the correct fittings instead of adapters?

Last edited:

Highpockets

I also need some info on antenna fitting adapters. My cable has male "N" fittings on both ends. I need an adapter to fit the pl-259 on the antenne side (diamond dicone) and a adapter for bnc to the scanner side. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Or would it be best to install the correct fittings instead of adapters?

I don't like adapters, it is better to have the right fittings, if you can't do it yourself, see if there is a local ham Radio Club in your area. I'm sure one of the guys in the club would gladly do it for you. Allot of them will most likely even have the proper fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.