BCD 996 P2

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
What has better digital decoding the BCD 996 P2 or the Whistler WS 1065 I guess what I'm asking out of the two scanners which one has the best receiving performance I'm not really interested in which scanner out of the two has more features than the other one I'm just curious which one actually performs better than the other or are they the same

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I know you're not looking for "feature" differences but one major difference is the 996P2 handles P25 Phase-II TDMA talkgroups whereas the WS1065 does not. Performance will differ depending on RF environment, antenna used, etc. Neither are superior to the SDS200 on simulcast systems

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
Everything I want to listen to as of right now anyway it still phase 1 and no Simulcast I already have the WS 1065 I was just curious if the 996p2 decoded faster then the WS 1065 the reason I'm asking is because sometimes I believe the ws 1065 just doesn't decode quick enough I like the 1065 it does everything I needed to do I just believe it's lagging in decoding digital audio and I was wondering if the 996p2 was quicker or are both scanners in that aspect relatively the same and is it worth me upgrading scanners

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
Right now I'm scanning 13 channels but even if I just monitor 1 channel at a time sometimes it will totally Miss the first two to three words of the conversation that's just what makes me believe it's not decoding quick enough I understand if it's going through a scan list it will miss words here and there

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
Yes I believe it's in the best spot I have found in my house but before I pull the trigger and purchase a new scanner I am going to put an external antenna on my roof when the weather gets a little nicer out and see what that does

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What has better digital decoding the BCD 996 P2 or the Whistler WS 1065 I guess what I'm asking out of the two scanners which one has the best receiving performance I'm not really interested in which scanner out of the two has more features than the other one I'm just curious which one actually performs better than the other or are they the same
Have you updated your firmware on the WS-1065?

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
First I'm not at all familiar with the WS1065 so maybe someone can chime in on what I'm about to say.

The BCD996P2 has a setting called P25 threshold. I had to change that and it made the scanner receive better on one of the systems programmed. Does the WS1065 have something like that?
The problem might be a simple setting deep within the menus that could help?
Can anyone enlighten if this could be the problem?
Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
Right now I'm scanning 13 channels but even if I just monitor 1 channel at a time sometimes it will totally Miss the first two to three words of the conversation that's just what makes me believe it's not decoding quick enough I understand if it's going through a scan list it will miss words here and there
I have not updated the firmware not really for sure how to do that
For your WS1065, If scanning conventional frequencies, try removing PL tones to avoid missing words. To check the firmware version on your scanner: Turn off the scanner. Turn on the scanner. At the welcome screen, press 3. If CPU firmware is earlier that 2.9, use this CPU updater: WS1040/WS1065 Scanner Firmware Updates and Downloads Hold PROG while turning on scanner to place in CPU firmware upgrade mode. Connect the scanner to your computer and run the CPU updater.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber