BCD 996T mobile install

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Anyone have issues with the 996 series having HEAT issues? I just checked out a 996T which was a mobile install that would not pick up anything at all. The only thing I could think of was he had it installed on the DASH of a Black truck and it got too hot.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I have mine installed in the dash, just above the AM/FM radio for at least 6 years. Never had any issued even with 100 degree summers. But like I said it is in the dash, not on top.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I had a 996T, a control head for a Motorola XTL 2500, and a Motorola CDM 1250 in a Jotto Desk console in my fire department Expedition. Didn't experience any scanner failures.

I'd be more suspicious of transmitter signal ingress on the scanner as the problem.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
transciever

Any radios in the truck that can transmit?

He does have an ICOM 207 2m/440 in his truck. Not sure how he has his antennas placed. Never considered overload of the scanner from his RF output. Not even sure if he is very active on the radio, his home Yaesu isn't even hooked up.

I had problems with desense on my Feed at home with antennas some 20 or more feet apart till I changed to a directional 800 MHz YAGI on the scanner.

sfd119

Had no problems with -40F to 120F with the scanner in my truck.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have issues with the 996 series having HEAT issues? I just checked out a 996T which was a mobile install that would not pick up anything at all. The only thing I could think of was he had it installed on the DASH of a Black truck and it got too hot.

I had mine mounted closer to the bottom near the theater vent and it fried the radio. so I moved it up on my dash.. these radios hate heat from any other source!!! It would still power up but wouldnt recive!!!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I had mine mounted closer to the bottom near the theater vent and it fried the radio. so I moved it up on my dash.. these radios hate heat from any other source!!! It would still power up but wouldnt recive!!!

That one powers up scans but is totally DEAF even to WX channel. Doesn't stop on anything but it does scan. I told him to send it to UNIDEN for their flat rate $49.50 repair. But, it would be nice to find a cause so it doesn't happen again.

Not to mention I want to install a BCD536HP in my truck with GPS and I don't want it fried. But then I don't have any HAM radios in that truck at this time either. Maybe why I never considered that and only thought of HEAT issues.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCT15X in teh dash of a work truck and it doesn't have ant heat issues. I also have a tuned cb about 8 inches away form it and why I key up it tends to lock the scanner on a random frequency sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.