BCD 996T Not Recieving

Status
Not open for further replies.

domando1069

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I have a BCD 996T and it was working last year when I moved. Unpacked unit an plugged it in. It scans but not receiving anything. Tried reprogramming but no luck. I can pick up my area off of the internet but nothing on my scanner. Any suggestions Thanks

voxiso

Having a outdated firmware would not just make the scanner unable to at least decode P25 or analog.. Any more info you can give would help out a lot if you have yet to get it going.. Firmware could help yes but you should still be able to hear something. A updated firmware could approve it.But would not prevent you from hearing anything all.. Unless it is NXDN or encrypted.

Last edited:

wtp

if it is still silent

plug in a computer speaker into the earphone jack and see if it works.
there has been many here who had a problem with the jack.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Doing a weather service scan is always a good thing to try whenever there is concern on whether a scanner is receiving.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the weather search? This is a good "diagnostic tool" to determine whether your scanner is receiving. Most areas of the country are in the footprint of one or more weather service transmitters.

If you get weather broadcasts, then most likely it is a programming issue, things being locked out, or being out of range.

If you do not get weather, it is a different set of things to consider. Are there: antenna problems such as bad cable (if you use an external antenna), bad antenna connections or the dreaded "front end blown" problem on the scanner because a transmitter was too close (as in a couple of feet) and fried the receiver on the scanner.

So, first things first - do a weather search to give you a better idea of where to look next.

In any event, most likely whatever is going on can be resolved. It will just take time and patience.

jeremyphoto23

Have you tried the weather search? This is a good "diagnostic tool" to determine whether your scanner is receiving. Most areas of the country are in the footprint of one or more weather service transmitters.

If you get weather broadcasts, then most likely it is a programming issue, things being locked out, or being out of range.

If you do not get weather, it is a different set of things to consider. Are there: antenna problems such as bad cable (if you use an external antenna), bad antenna connections or the dreaded "front end blown" problem on the scanner because a transmitter was too close (as in a couple of feet) and fried the receiver on the scanner.

So, first things first - do a weather search to give you a better idea of where to look next.

In any event, most likely whatever is going on can be resolved. It will just take time and patience.

I'm having a similar issue, WX isn't coming in...if it's a blown front end, who can repair that? Is sending it back to Uniden the only option? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Uniden Repair is a good deal, especially for older radios. It's like a flat rate $50 or so and they not only repair your problem they bench test, tune up and repair or replace anything else they find.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here's a link to the Uniden repair page. Unfortunately the link won't work until 6/17 as Uniden servers are down, most likely due to office moving.

Product Repair

or
Uniden Customer Support > Home

Unfortunately blown front ends do happen which I found out personally. As mentioned above, Uniden is pretty good at repairs. While you may find someone else to do the repairs, any parts they may need would have to come from Uniden, lengthening the process.

Just be sure you have copied your scanner programming before you send it in for repair, just in case what they do erases the memory.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
BCD 996T

Speaker works it just scans and doesn't lock on anything.

My brother has the same issue with his 996T, one day it just stopped working. It scans and has sound but never stops on anything. I told him to ship it to UNIDEN for flat rate repair. And yes it had an antenna connected. My 996XT will hear stuff w/o and antenna.

domando1069

Premium Subscriber
Hi again
Been waiting to get on update site. Updated firmware can receive weather channels but can't get any
Bell Fleetnet channels, nothing locks on.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's nearly impossible to diagnose anything with such limited information - however our Ontario forum is probably a better bet, since there are users there with similar interests. There's also this sticky thread....

http://forums.radioreference.com/on...tnet-archived-stickies-please-read-first.html

and of course, the instructions that are stored in our wiki...

Programming your Uniden DMA (Dynamic Memory Scanner) scanner for Bell Mobility Radio's Fleetnet system - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

domando1069

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ka3jjz
but scanner was working packed it away when I moved but now not picking up, reprogrammed still nothing. I will check out Ontario site
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.