K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD996XT

just got this and trying to program it is there a guide or a book

I would suggest to read this first:

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

And then download the Freescan software:

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

I noticed you are a premium subscriber so find the agencies you would like to monitor and add them to your Freescan software. Next, download the lists to the scanner.

It will take some time to understand 'systems' and 'groups'. For example, Benton County, AR.
Benton county would be the 'system' and Fire, Sheriff, EMS, etc. will be the 'groups' in that one 'system'

Be sure that you enable the systems and groups after you download to your scanner.

I hope that helps.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD996XT

is the free scan same as the one you can buy from scammer master?

I'm not familiar with the software from scanner master. Freescan doesn't cost anything and you may download any part of the RadioReference database into it with your premium subscription. It makes it easier to program the BCD996XT.

javfd

Premium Subscriber
thank you I already bought the other one and downloaded to scanner but there are all the settings I don't know what to do with

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
thank you I already bought the other one and downloaded to scanner but there are all the settings I don't know what to do with.

One of the ways I learned to program my BC346XT, besides the manuals and links provided earlier, was to get copies of programming done by other people. That way I could get an idea of how different aspects of the scanner were supposed to work and how the programming was supposed to look. Was a great help in mastering the new (to me anyway) DMA memory structure.

:)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
is the free scan same as the one you can buy from scammer master?

Freescan is scanner programming software that you can download on the internet for free. It is a good basic program that many folks use quite successfully to program their scanners.

The software that Scannermaster sells is directed more toward the "higher end" scanner and other radio users. Several types of software are available from Scannermaster, including scanner programming software (mostly Butel's ARC product line). There are costs associated with buying this software from Scannermaster.

The Freescan software and ARC software do essentially the same basic thing - help you program your scanner. The ARC software has a few more bells and whistles (as you would expect since it costs $).

Most everyone starts out knowing very little when they begin programming scanners. The more you do, the better you'll become and have greater confidence in what you are doing.

Don't be afraid of trying things. It is highly unlikely you will ruin your scanner by programming something wrong.

One of the first things to do is "read" or download the scanner and then save the original programming to a separate file folder on your computer. That way you'll have something to go back to if you have the ultimate "bad words" situation.

And if worst comes to worst, you can always do a factory re-set on your scanner and start from scratch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.