BCD160DN/BCD260DN: BCD160DN vs BC125AT for airband

beaterbox

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering picking up a 160DN for rail but also airband. Has anyone used the 160DN specifically for milair/commercial? How does it perform compared to the 125AT?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For the cost of purchasing one 160DN, I purchased two 125AT scanners. I then programmed the two radios with different frequencies so they work in tandem to increase the odds of catching the traffic I want to hear. That is a factor you should seriously consider.

P.S. Use a proper powered splitter and not some BNC T splitter as you'll lose half the signal strength. Optionally, just use a tuned rail antenna for one and a discone for the civil/mil air frequencies.

bearcatrp

For the cost of purchasing one 160DN, I purchased two 125AT scanners. I then programmed the two radios with different frequencies so they work in tandem to increase the odds of catching the traffic I want to hear. That is a factor you should seriously consider.

P.S. Use a proper powered splitter and not some BNC T splitter as you'll lose half the signal strength. Optionally, just use a tuned rail antenna for one and a discone for the civil/mil air frequencies.
This or buy 1 Icom R15 that can run in split screen instead of operating 2 radios. Icom won't be that much more. I own the 160 and compared it to the Icom R30. Its real close but the R30 edges it out. The 160 is a great airband scanner, no doubt. The 125 cannot receive 380-400 MHz.

beaterbox

Premium Subscriber
Thanks vagrant and bearcatrp!

Is there much use in the 380-400 MHz for milair in the US? I'm new to monitoring the milair band.

plreardon

I owned the 125AT for 8 years (very happily), but recently purchased the 160DN. The 160DN gives the additional benefit of receiving airband DMR frequencies. You do have to be in a general vicinity of an airport, but the 160DN will provide the airline company and airport services DMR transmissions.

beaterbox

Premium Subscriber
I owned the 125AT for 8 years (very happily), but recently purchased the 160DN. The 160DN gives the additional benefit of receiving airband DMR frequencies. You do have to be in a general vicinity of an airport, but the 160DN will provide the airline company and airport services DMR transmissions.
Cool... are you happy with the performance of the 160DN on airband compared to the 125AT?

plreardon

My opinion, the 160DN is just as good at monitoring airband as the 125AT. I'd invest in the RH77CA antenna for best reception, which I also used with the 125AT.

Trucker700

I have a BCD160DN that I use for Airband and MilAir. If you are interested in MilAir and there is activity in your area above 380Mhz, then the 160DN is a good choice. Unlike the 125 there is no gap in MilAir coverage. The receiver is plenty hot too.
Also, if you are interested in Railroad monitoring and if any of the railroads in your area are starting to use NXDN, the 160DN already has NXDN and DMR installed. The 125 can not do either of those modes. You would have to upgrade to a more expensive scanner and purchase NXDN and DMR upgrades separately to get what the BCD160DN already has.
The BCD160DN is more expensive than the 125. But, if you figure in what the upgrades cost ( NXDN & DMR) the price equals out. I believe the Service Search in the BCD160DN is more refined. And the scanning speed is very fast.
Overall, I think the BCD160DN is a good deal for what it provides.
If there are no use of frequencies above 380Mhz in your area and you don't need the other features exclusive to the BCD160DN, then the 125 is a good choice.
James